Alpha Omega Horizons Math

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
  • Dates used: Now
I've been using this curriculum for about a month now and I really like it. I know there is a lot of talk about mastery v.s. spiral, but I honestly think it just depends on the kid. I wanted to use a complete mastery program but my son hated it. There are some programs out there that are mastery with some spiraling... this is not one of those programs. It is completely spiraling, but it works great for my boy who gets very bored, very easily.

This program has lots of puzzles, which my son really enjoys. The lessons take about 20-30 minutes and there is lots of review. I like that there are only of few of each type of problem. This is great if your child really dislikes working with money, for example. There may be 5 questions in the lesson- then your done with it for the day. There are worksheets in the teachers manual that reinforces new concepts as well.

Speaking of the teachers manual, I would not agree that is useless, although it could be better. It does have some great ideas on how present the lesson and how to use manipulatives but it does not give you a more in depth lesson explanation. So, if you have a hard time deciphering the explanation in the lesson you may need to find a youtube video online or something. This is not a problem in 4th grade however, as your child advances it may become a problem.

Overall, we really like this program and we are excited to continue with it. My son grumbles very little about math these days and will say things like "It's challenging but it's good to have a challenge". He loves the puzzles and feels a sense of accomplishment when he finishes a lesson. And most importantly he seems to be making connections he wasn't making before (the puzzles maybe?). We plan on continuing with Horizons.

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 8, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4-preAlgebra
  • Dates used: 2003-2004, again 2010-present
I used this for a short while with my oldest, who is now in college. I did not care for it much, but I blamed that on the fact that I was a first year home schooler, and trying to do multiple programs at once. So years later, I tried it again with my younger child, big age difference. At first, I saw gaps, but I assumed the gaps were because we started it at 5th grade. But by prealgebra, there are big gaps. The order in which the topics are taught are not logical. The explanations in the book are not very good. I used to be a secondary educatiom math teacher, so I have been compensating, and re-arranging the order or the lessons, and so on. But overall, I would not recommend this program at the preAlgebra level. I think it is perhaps fine up until this level. The preAlgebra level and the algebra level have only been out a couple of years, so perhaps they will rewrite to fix these problems. But as it is, I would not recommend this program.

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 27, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013
I'm new to homeschooling as of this year and I find Horizons math to be excellent for my first grader. Both teacher and student are happy with the curriculum. We really like the math manipulative as there are not too much or too little of them. We will be purchasing the 2nd grade level soon.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 27, 2013
  • Dates used: 2011-current
Horizons Math is amazing. I have used K, 1, 3, and now 4 with my dd. Every year it gets very very difficult in the second book. And every year I think my dd is not going to be able to do Horizons anymore. But we always truck on. We slow down lessons, all the way from 3 pages to 1 page per day. I teach the difficult new concepts carefully and re teach if necessary and then CLICK! A light turns on in her brain, and she moves forward, and amazes me.

My dd has seen Saxon and tried it for a few weeks and it had her in tears with how easy and boring it was. The black and white pages also made her depressed. She loves the color and cheerfulness of Horizons and sometimes draws cute little mice or cats alongside their artwork.

My dd loves math and she says, "I'm good at math. It's one of my best subjects!" and it is! She is doing some math concepts right now, in 4th grade, that some kids don't do until 6th grade. And she truly understand the concepts.

My dd happens to have the abillity to apply those concepts to real life and word problems, but you may want to supplement here and there with real life math and word problems because Horizons does not have a lot of those, or of mental math. We use the Mental Math from my son's old Saxon books because I love their Mental Math. MY dd thinks it's fun.

Now, if your child is average in math skills, use Horizons a half a book lower than grade level. Also be forewarned that in 4th grade and up you do need some notebook paper (we use graph paper) for extra work on the side, as there really isn't quite enough room for all your child's work.