Hakim's History of the US

wdworkman

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 17, 2013
  • Dates used: 2013
We used the series along with the "Assessment Book For Middle School and High School Classes" by Oxford University Press. It's a set of quizzes written to accompany the Hakim books.

Like many homeschool families we had done US History to death in elementary and middle school, so for a High School credit, I really felt like a 'read the text - take the test' approach was adequate. These books, along with the assessment book, filled that need perfectly. But since we often read the texts together, they always seemed to lead to interesting discussions. Almost every chapter reminded us of a project we had done, or a book we had read, plus adding interesting facts that we had not learned in our previous studies.

The books could easily be used to cover the subject with just reading/discussion or with written summaries, but the assessment book was perfect for us - written record of what he had learned, but not a lot of extra writing to add to an already busy high school year.

3brightkids

• Reviewed on Monday, October 17, 2011
  • Dates used: 2009
Used the book set as a introduction to American History and supplemented (greatly) with living books. Recommend as a introduction to the subject and not as a core curriculum.

Carolyn Harrison

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 31, 2010
  • Grades Used: 7th-8th
  • Dates used: 2010
I had high hopes, but was disappointed in this series. Luckily, my 14yo daughter, well-versed in correct Bible doctrine, quickly advised me that she discovered some questionable information in this series. A quick perusal of Amazon.com customer reviews was very revealing as well. I think Hakim had a lofty ambition, but not good research.

We're also looking at "Discovering U.S. History" and "The Drama of American History" series as readers; no judgment call on those yet. Had been using A Beka, but was finding it a little too editorialized (and I'm a conservative Christian; just looking for "fair and balanced" without impugning or overly dramatizing our faith).

Am finding good timelines, book recommendations and clear info in Christine Miller's "All Through the Ages" literature-based history study.

Lah425

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 28, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2007-08
This series came highly recommended. I love history and was eager to find a good fit for us. I was torn between Story of the Workd and History of the US. I wish I had gone with SOTW I do like Hakim's books and we still use them, but not as a curriculum or even a basis for a curriculum. Hakim contradicts herself in the very beginning of the first book which my son caught and pointed out. (The tomatoes - referred to in a picture as being brought by an early Italian settler and then she later says that they were already here and exported to Italy.) There are also several in accuracies in the books. Fortunately, I read the books first and make a note about the inaccuracy and use something else that is accurate in it's place. Then, my son started reading the books on his own and when we would get to an inaccuracy that I used something else with he would pull out the book and show me I was wrong because his Hakim book said something else. So, then I had to "unlearn" him on parts so I could teach him the accurate information. That got aggravating in a real hurry.

I still have the books and I still use the books. However, I don't use them for anything more than a rather elaborate lesson plan. I use it to make sure I don't forget to cover something that I should and use other books and such to teach those things. Oh, I do also use the activity guides some. Once we have gone through everything one of the books covers, my son is free to read the book and point out inaccuracies or delve further into things he would like to know more about (like the parts she leaves out to be completely secular - heck, even my PS History classes taught quite a bit about the history written in the Bible. Non- Christians need to understand that just because it is in the Christian Bible doesn't make it NOT History.)

I would note recommend this series as a curriculum, but it could be a great tool still the same. Just be sure that your child has a firm grasp on the actual facts in history before letting them loose with Hakim's books. And be prepared to explain that Hakim either misunderstood the facts, misread the facts or should fire her editors for over editing and making the facts into fiction. :O)