Build Your Library: Literature Based Curriculum

OtterMommy

• Reviewed on Friday, April 26, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st-2nd
  • Dates used: 2013
We used the Ancient History guide for my kids in 1st and 2nd grade. We doubled-up on days, but still found it easy to implement. This is a secular curriculum, but we prefer to teach our children about our faith rather than have other's teach them those beliefs in a curriculum. We have discovered great books and fun activities while using this. The author is also very responsive to questions. We plan on continuing to use this throughout the elementary years. All of my kids (2 years to 8 years) have sat in on the reading and enjoyed it all!

erin3600

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013
We are using this program for 1st grade. It has great books to read and good activities to go along with the reading. The kids are enjoying it and I love that it can be downloaded onto my kindle. I wish more of the books were available to buy on kindle. Perhaps more book are available on kindle in the higher grades. It is a great program at a great price.

VTHomeschool

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I found this to be a well rounded program (other than math, which is mentioned on her website) that offered a great deal of flexibility while still covering everything I wanted it to.

1st grade is nature study so be prepared to spend a good deal of science time outdoors. My son really enjoyed it.

The literature that has been chosen is excellent and very engaging. The only downside is there is a lot of death in the books (from mice to Greek warriors). It isn't a problem here but worth noting for those homes where death isn't something you/your children are comfortable with.

We have already purchased the 2nd grade year and excited to start it in the fall!