Writer's Express

juicygirl4u731

• Reviewed on Friday, December 2, 2005
  • Dates used: 2005-
hey! Well I have been using this book and I really like it! It's not to easy or hard infact I am supposed to be in 8th but it advanced me so much I went to 9th grade instead! Sometimes since it's a grade above I get stuck but all I have to do is get out the hand-book and look up an example and i'm ok.
I do about four pages a day and I should be done with it in Febuary! This is a great book I recommend it to anybody ecspecially those who are using A-beka.
I might be using again next year, this is a great book! It is never boring infact some of the stuff is really fun!
~Whitney~

B. Carfizzi

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 8, 2003
  • Dates used: 2002-2003
This year I purchased the Writer's Express Handbook, the Skillsbook and the Teacher's Guide to the Handbook. The Hand book is just that - a handbook or a reference type book on composition that is written at the child's level. It explained things very well and was very clear although my son did not voluntarily refer to it like it was probably intended to be used. I thought it was very handy, kind of an everything you need to know about grammar and composition book. There are no assignments in the Handbook.
The Teacher's Guide to the Handbook was also packed with information from how to critique the individual writing assignments as well as spelling lists and ideas for writing projects. That being said, I almost never used it as it did not contain a daily lesson plan. It is very public school oriented and suggests many things that would waste the average homeschooler's time.
The Skillsbook is the grammar workbook and incorporates composition in almost every asignment. I really liked the way it approached grammar. The students don't just circle a compound subject in premade sentences, they actually have to write their own sentences with compound subjects. When they can create their own sentences and paragraphs using the introduced lesson, then you know they understand it and have a working knowledge of what was taught.
Something that was a problem for us in the Skillsbook was asignments on some of the workbook pages that would say, write a story using... This was a problem for us because my son cannot write anything over a paragraph without having a meltdown. Some children have absolutely no problem writing and this would be great for them. This program at this grade level assumes that each child can write stories with no problem. Perhaps we are a special case but we did have to modify that part.
The Teacher's Guide to the Handbook did not have the answers to the Skillsbook in it. There is a separate Teacher's book for that. Also Hewitt Homeschool Resources has a little Syllabis made up for Write Source products that does have daily lesson plans. In that book you get the lesson plans for the composition and the Skillsbook for grades 1-8 for around $5.00. I thought that was an extrodinary deal.

All in all I thought this was a good way to teach grammar but a bit presumptuous when it came to composition but if your child doesn't struggle in that area this would work fine. I won't be using it next year but I may use it in the future. I did like it.