Discovering Nature Series

hs4mommy

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 21, 2014
  • Grades Used: 9th-12th
  • Dates used: 2014
My son and I recently completed "Further Investigation" from the Discovering Nature Series. It is said to be a "Charlotte Mason Style Chemistry Curriculum for High School Students."

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this product.

First, it is full of typos/mistakes--in practically every lesson. This gave my son a poor view of the curriculum right from the start. Second, the storyline is overly cheesy and predictable so that my high school son could not take it seriously; he did not enjoy it.

Also, it did not present chemistry concepts in an orderly fashion and really did not teach much of anything. Reading the story was actually pretty worthless when it came to trying to understand the concepts each lesson was supposed to be "teaching." We had to resort to grasping for many, many other resources to try and answer questions or get any sense of understanding. This was disappointing because I had been told that all we would need was the text to read and a basic chemistry reference book--no way!!

We will now use another product to actually study chemistry.

Overall, I really cannot find any redeeming qualities for this product and cannot recommend spending precious time or money trying to use it. I've been hs for a very long time and have used many curriculums and this is the first time I've ever felt strongly enough about a product to write a negative review.

Consider another resource for studying chemistry!!! and enjoy the journey as you go!!