Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament

Cindy

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 14, 2003
  • Grades Used: k-7th
  • Dates used: 1999 - 2002
I can not say enough good things about GLP!! I LOVE their guides. We have used the Guides to Old Testement History, Egypt, Greece, Rome and Medieval History.

I wish they would come out with a guide to the New Testament!!

We will be taking a break from GLP this year in order to do a year of American History with our church co-op but I plan to be back when it's time to cycle back thru!!

Stephanie Fehler

• Reviewed on Monday, January 21, 2002
  • Grades Used: one
  • Dates used: nov/01-jan 02, ongoing
i love the greenleaf package - i'm glad i got all the extra resources even though they are not really used much with my six year old - he likes to look up places in the atlas (he loves maps) to see where the action is taking place, but the chronological and background charts are mostly for my own interest. The only problem i have with this is that the questions in the guide usually have to be rephrased by me before i ask my son as they are long and use words that are not easy for little ones to understand. But i expect to go through this book a few times - right now my oldest is the only one homeschooling and we have three more who will probably go through this with me - i love the fact that you read your child great chunks of the Bible every day - and not just the same old selected stories. We use a big parallel Bible so if it is not an exciting story i can switch to the Living Bible to make it easier for him to understand (and quicker to get through) but usually we use KJV and he soaks up the vocabulary and concepts just fine!

Katie Murray

• Reviewed on Monday, October 22, 2001
  • Grades Used: pre-K through 3
  • Dates used: 2001
I started using this and am not thrilled to say the least. It's accurate and easy to use, however it's boring and well, not fun at all. There are no activities, no workpages, no nothing. Just reading from the Old Testament and questions. Simple is a very good way of describing this book. I just like a little more to my curriculum than this, but, it might be exactly what you are looking for. Each lesson only takes about 15 to 20 minutes a day to complete.

I also bought a BIG BOOK BIBLE TIMELINE which I allow them to color the picture that coordinates with the story that I am reading that day. They enjoy the coloring and listening to the story, but I'm not sure they are retaining much of the lesson.

Terri

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 29, 2000
  • Grades Used: many-used with 4th/5th
  • Dates used: 1998-99
We used these guides together so I felt it necessary to review them together. I love these two guides!!! I highly recommend them. It was so exciting to really learn Old Testament and Egyptian history - to find out how the 10 plagues related to the Egyptian gods, to see the relationships between the different people mentioned in the Bible, to create a timeline and see how the history of the Israelites fits into secular history timelines. It is just exciting to learn and know in-depth the roots of our Christian history. I recommend using the Guide to Egypt at the appropriate time in the Old Testament Guide. It helped us to see things we wouldn't have if we would have done them separately. Did you know that one of the last Pharoahs in Egypt tried to change the style of worship from many gods to one god? He was outcast because of it. And Egypt soon fell. It truly is His Story!!!