Great Science Adventures

jennydbragg

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 1, 2012
  • Grades Used: K-2nd
  • Dates used: 2012
I must agree with many other reviewers that the amount of copying, cutting, and pasting is overwhelming....if you decide to go that route. However, with my 2 kids I don't do any copying, we just use the pages straight out of the book making it a consumable. This saves precious time which is worth the cost to me! Even with the graphics there's plenty for each child to have something to color - IF they want to. I put the books together the day before (which takes about 5 minutes) while the kids are finishing up the activity. The info is great, some a little over their heads but still interesting. We don't do every activity, only whatever I feel like for that day. I will admit, after first reading the instructions of how to make all of the graphic organizers I was intimidated but after getting into the program it's not bad at all. We don't do everything exactly how the author suggests but tailor it to our needs. All in all it's been a nice unit study for insects. BTW, I'm not a planner. I like open and go curriculum. This has worked well for us, the kids have enjoyed it and are retaining info.

usfolkes

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 20, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
Well I have many science curriculum books half completed on our book shelf. This joined them. Sadly... I didn't read the reviews, and bought 4 of the books. So now there they sit. I was very excited because we do like lap books. I thought that this would foster that. Well after 3 nights of sitting on the floor trying to photocopy pages upon pages the specific way the authors describe, I found myself sitting on the floor in tears and having wasted half a ream of paper.

This could be a great program. The content was great. I wish they actually had the books made and the lapbook components as punch outs and such. If you don't mind the endless photocopying, the book is not bound in a way to make photocopying easy. If it were at least spiral bound, that would have helped greatly.

Great idea but could really be done in a way that is more feasible for people.

valzhome

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 29, 2010
  • Dates used: currently
I agree with the previous comments. I use Apologia Young Explorers Series and I bought this to go along with it. I'm glad I didn't buy it as a sole curriculum. There is way too much printing and cutting and things, I didn't expect that. Especially for children in Kindergarten. I've done more work than they have. So I do use other Common Sense Press Items and I would still recommend this - but just be aware to do some work.

~Val

hoosiermom

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 21, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 4th
  • Dates used: 2009-1010
I used Great Science Adventures World of Space and also Discovering Earth's Landforms. I have mixed feelings about this program. The hands-on features seemed to help my children retain information, but the constant putting together of books and making copies is time-consuming. We don't color all of the books, because well, what's the point of constantly coloring?

However, making their own books with captions and explanations has, as I mentioned, helped them in their learning process. My biggest complaint is how many inaccuracies there are in the books. Part of that is simply that science changes (for instance, they discover new moons, new stars, etc), so when we went to make the books on the planets, we always checked the Internet to find the most up-to-date information. But there are other errors that have nothing to do with time. I also felt my children were missing some of the details that their black-and-white drawings couldn't give, so we were often checking out books from the library to supplement or looking on the Internet for good pictures. It's a fine skill to have, but again, time-consuming.

It's an okay curriculum, and one of my children definitely enjoyed it because he likes art and appreciates creating things, but my oldest would have rathered just read a book and answered some questions. I'm looking into Apologia for next year.