Galloping the Globe

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 7, 2016
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
Really enjoyed this program. We covered Asia, Europe, the Poles, and North America in Kindergarten. We'll finish up the rest of the globe in 1st grade

The book comes with basic information on each country and some activities for each place on a cd included in the back of the book. There are also hundreds of recommended websites to visit for more information and many, many books listed that you can add to your study. I did not buy the books Galloping listed as a core for the study and, quite frankly, got along just fine without them. The book gives you a basic outline for your lessons but you'll end up writing your own. If your willing to do this, it's very rewarding. This program does this one purpose, hoping you'll listen to what your child is most interested in and spent more time on that while moving quickly through things that might bore them

Each country has basic info and activity sheets, recommended reading for history, science, holidays, literature, etc.

Notes: In order to truly get the most out of this program, you will need to have access to a library with a good selection. You can do it without but it might not be as rich of an experience.

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 22, 2008
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I purchased "Galloping the Globe" because my child wanted to study children in other countries and cultures.
Galloping the Globe is a unit study which is designed to take you around the world in 1-3 years. The unit study is written for Kindergarten through Fourth Grade. The curriculum is divided into the seven contients and countries within the contients. Each country is divided into the following sections: people/history, general reference books, literature, science, vocabulary, music/art projects, internet resources, and the Bible.
The weaknesses of this curriculum are:
1. The curriculum has no set schedule, you will have to create your own.
2. The science section is an introduction to the animal kingdom. If your child loves science you will have to supplement with additional materials/experiments.
The strengths of this curriculum are:
1. There is a wealth of information in this unit study, which can be a bit overwhelming at first. However you can pick and choose what sections you would like to cover and what resources to utilize.
2. The cookbook "Eat Your Way Around the World" is an excellant resource for cooking up culinary delights from other cultures.
3. The curriculum is extremely affordable.
4. The section of "Christmas Around the World" gives you the opportunity to celebrate Christmas in the tradition of other countries and cultures.
5. The Yahoo Group which is owned by the author is a great place to meet other families who are utilizing the curriculum.
Additional resources we are utilizing to complete our journey of "around the world in 36 weeks" are: V.M. Hillyer's "A Child's Geography of the World, The Walt Disney/Walden Media version of "Around the World in 80 Days", DK Children Just Like Me, DK Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!, DK Animal Encyclopedia, and Heaven's Heroes.

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 22, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2008
We are using Galloping the Globe this year and so far we have really enjoyed it. We are using it mainly for geography, but have incorporated the literature and some Bible study also. This is an easy to use program but you do have to piece together your own schedule.

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 27, 2007
  • Grades Used: 3rd & 5th
  • Dates used: 2007
We just finished this curriculum. It was great! This program was very easy to use and my children and I learned a lot.

With GTG, you study all seven continents. You decide how much time to spend on each continent and/or country. For each continent there is an extensive list of books and recommended resources. You can use any books you like. I was able to use quite a number of resources I already own.

I purchased the bundle, including Considering God's Creation for science, from for about $100. The GTG manual covers bible, history, geography, cultures, hands-on activities and science.

It does take sometime to go over the book lists and look up information about some of the suggested titles. However, for me, this was not a problem. I was able to tailor this program to my sons' interests and level to comprehend.

I you like to "put together" your own program but appreciate having a solid frame work, this is the program for you. We really liked it and will be continuing with Cantering the Country (USA).