Galloping the Globe

kalphs

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 22, 2008
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I purchased "Galloping the Globe" because my child wanted to study children in other countries and cultures.
Galloping the Globe is a unit study which is designed to take you around the world in 1-3 years. The unit study is written for Kindergarten through Fourth Grade. The curriculum is divided into the seven contients and countries within the contients. Each country is divided into the following sections: people/history, general reference books, literature, science, vocabulary, music/art projects, internet resources, and the Bible.
The weaknesses of this curriculum are:
1. The curriculum has no set schedule, you will have to create your own.
2. The science section is an introduction to the animal kingdom. If your child loves science you will have to supplement with additional materials/experiments.
The strengths of this curriculum are:
1. There is a wealth of information in this unit study, which can be a bit overwhelming at first. However you can pick and choose what sections you would like to cover and what resources to utilize.
2. The cookbook "Eat Your Way Around the World" is an excellant resource for cooking up culinary delights from other cultures.
3. The curriculum is extremely affordable.
4. The section of "Christmas Around the World" gives you the opportunity to celebrate Christmas in the tradition of other countries and cultures.
5. The Yahoo Group which is owned by the author is a great place to meet other families who are utilizing the curriculum.
Additional resources we are utilizing to complete our journey of "around the world in 36 weeks" are: V.M. Hillyer's "A Child's Geography of the World, The Walt Disney/Walden Media version of "Around the World in 80 Days", DK Children Just Like Me, DK Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!, DK Animal Encyclopedia, and Heaven's Heroes.

mrsfields

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 22, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2008
We are using Galloping the Globe this year and so far we have really enjoyed it. We are using it mainly for geography, but have incorporated the literature and some Bible study also. This is an easy to use program but you do have to piece together your own schedule.

sbaloue

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 27, 2007
  • Grades Used: 3rd & 5th
  • Dates used: 2007
We just finished this curriculum. It was great! This program was very easy to use and my children and I learned a lot.

With GTG, you study all seven continents. You decide how much time to spend on each continent and/or country. For each continent there is an extensive list of books and recommended resources. You can use any books you like. I was able to use quite a number of resources I already own.

I purchased the bundle, including Considering God's Creation for science, from www.geomatters.com for about $100. The GTG manual covers bible, history, geography, cultures, hands-on activities and science.

It does take sometime to go over the book lists and look up information about some of the suggested titles. However, for me, this was not a problem. I was able to tailor this program to my sons' interests and level to comprehend.

I you like to "put together" your own program but appreciate having a solid frame work, this is the program for you. We really liked it and will be continuing with Cantering the Country (USA).

momofsix

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 19, 2007
  • Grades Used: k-5th
  • Dates used: 2007-present
We are really just about a month into this program but I just wanted to give a mini review because we really love it. We have linked to it the Trail Guide to World Geography/Bible Geography and A Child's Geography. It is really the perfect mix for us, especially for including my 5th grader. There is so much flexibility but yet still very solid.

What I really love is you can decide what focus you really want to have and then just stay with that theme for the whole year. We are doing an over view of the continents and then going very in depth to the Holy Land, connecting again A Child's Geography and then hitting the Explorers just before American History next year. The great thing is none of this is really the main focus of the book per say yet we were still able to do what we felt led to study and make it completely our own. To me that is a really great program! If you do not want to get into all the food and culture and food type stuff you do not have to. If you enjoy that kind of thing it is an option as well. You can use their Bible or Science or not use either and it is still a good program. Lot's of flexibility!

If you have older kids really recommend adding the Trail Guide to World Geography to it. I have my third graders and fifth doing the Trail guide. For younger kids it is great on it's own. My three year old and my five year old have learned their continents really by osmosis. And if you want a missionary focus Galloping The Globe has that as well.

It's a great choice if you want a lot of flexibility but still would like to have the guidance and excellent reading list by page not just book. We are really glad we decided to use this program. We are excited every day to do our Geography and I never dreamed we would feel that way. Great program!