A Beka Grammar & Composition

smarty_pants33

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 31, 2008
  • Grades Used: 4th-7th
  • Dates used: 2003-2006
Grammar was my favorite subject every year I did Abeka. I think it went at a steady pace, and I really did learn a lot about grammar! The diagramming sometimes got tiresome, and I think there should have been more writting, but overall, as a student, I never hated or dreaded it!

A Students View

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 13, 2008
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
Let me tell you this; as a student I COULD NOT STAND A beka's Language C... There was not one thing that I liked in that book. This year I am going into 8th and 9th grade and I had to beg my Mom not to make me do any kind of A beka language arts.

Reason...

1. Lack of Explanation
2. Constant Repetition of words, points, etc. (which can be helpful in some cases, but the whole time I worked in that book all you heard was "pronoun, adjective, noun, verb, adverb, UGHHH ! I could not stand it!" And based on the reviews for this year's 9th grade language, it looks like it's doing the same thing! ( yes I'm judging the book by it's preview.)
3. It jumps from one thing to another
4. I didn't learn a thing
5. It was rather time consuming
6. I had gotten pulled out of the public school system at the beginning of 6th grade...in the public school system, I loved language arts, but after awhile I grew to despise it more and more everyday with A beka's Language C.

Maybe it's just the middle school grades, because my Mom says she liked A beka Language arts for my younger brother 2 years ago...(he was in 1st grade.)

All I've done is A beka's Language C.So I can only say this much, but the other books don't look promising.

frankiec

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 30, 2008
  • Grades Used: k4, k5, 1st
  • Dates used: 2005-2008
My son started with Abeka K4. At first it was gentle but got harder quickly. We supplemented some with Bob Books. Once he caught on to reading, he read everything he could from newspapers and magazines to books of all kinds. He's now entering second grade reading about a fourth grade level.

That said, I have switched away from Abeka for second grade this fall. My son has been burned out with Abeka language arts by the end of both the last two school years. Yes, he has learned a lot but it isn’t fun or engaging. The work is very repetitive. Drilled the death, he was tuning out, making the last third of the books a real struggle.

While Abeka is comprehensive, it isn’t very engaging. I will be using Christian Light Education (CLE) for language arts and reading. WinterPromise seems engaging but I’m not sure how comprehensive it is. CLE seems more balanced than the Abeka and definitely more gentle but still very thorough.

The readers for CLE are more wholesome. He really likes that style of story. He’s already read all the Abeka readers (through 3rd grade!) so I’m not sure how much more he would get out of reading them again. Especially since they have no questions other than a few basic comprehension. Whereas the CLE has both comprehension and reading skills questions related to the readings.

Another thing I like about CLE which was totally non-existent with Abeka, is that they have study skills throughout all their different programs. Students today need a balance of study skills, reading how-to's (phonics), comprehension, and grammar. I just didn't find that balance with Abeka. Sure, he learned how to read but he wasn't understanding much about what he was reading beyond very basic comprehension. Nor was he learning how to find an answer if it wasn't obvious. Looking through the second grade workbooks, I couldn't see a change in the pattern of material presented or activities to start incorporate study skills.

Abeka is good in school settings for teaching many students at the same time. However, for use in a homeschool, it unfortunatly is not well suited. It is hard to cusomize and if your child isn't a visual learner who enjoys workbooks this would be a challenging curriculum, especially for hands-on active learners like my son. He needed short to-the-point lessons with lots of variety and Abeka didn't supply that.

skywater

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: 2006-present
I love ABeka Grammar!
This is our second year to use it, and we are using the 4th grade workbook. I really like the clear way that the information is laid out. The books take a single grammar topic, like, say, adverbs, and teaches everything a fourth grader needs to know about adverbs, combined with just the right amount of practice drills, and then moves on. Clear, simple, straightforward.
I also like the way in which history and Bible are woven through the workbook in ordinary sentences for drills. It's like sneaking some extra learning into the subject of grammar- two lessons for the work of one!
It's also easy to use. I have the whole set- teacher's manuals and everything, but I don't even open them. (Except when I had to check the answers for adverb drills. Adverbs and I do not always play well together!) I just assign my daughter a couple of workbook pages a day, teaching the material just as it's explained in the workbooks.
This is a GREAT curriculum!!!