History At Our House

saratchka

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 26, 2012
  • Dates used: 2010-2012
This program has been fantastic for my eldest daughter. It covers both history and geography and even includes an art-appreciation component.

She started with recordings only in kindergarten and was fascinated by the story of American History. Because the recordings are not just a lecture but an actual class with student participation, they include questions that are entirely right for the age group of the class, which my daughter found very engaging.

She participated in the Ancient History live classes her second year and loved them even more. She loves being able to ask and answer questions in class, and I love that she is receiving instruction in an academic subject from a teacher other than myself. This is a valuable experience for her, I think.

The material is covered thoroughly and with a focus on deep understanding of the causes and effects of historical events. The subject matter is well organized and the instructor has a real gift for teaching.

Much of the academic work in our home is reading-based, and I am glad to include this auditory learning experience in our schooling plan.

I also very much appreciate the secular nature of these courses. Many history curricula available to homeschoolers have a religious agenda, but we wanted something that taught history with as little religious bias as possible. Religion is, of course, an unavoidable topic when covering the whys and wherefores of history, and this course does not shy away from that fact. The instructor is respectful of all the beliefs discussed in class, but does not play favorites, making this course appropriate for students of any religious background.

Andrew Layman

• Reviewed on Monday, May 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: 5th - 8th
  • Dates used: 2007 - 2012
History at Our House starts each year with a lecture "The most important word in history is IMPORTANT." This reflects the curriculum's focus on the key ideas, events, and people that had big effects, shaped the course of civilization and created the context we live in today. The classes teach in terms of both historical facts and the abstractions that can be drawn from them. For example, in studying the ancient world, students learn in detail and by actual examples the various forms of government attempted, from the monarchies such as Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Archaic Greece, to the duarchy of Sparta, the gradual development in Athens from kings to democracy (unlimited majority rule) to the invention by Romans of a republic, a government restrained by laws and having a function of protecting citizens as against their government. Students learn these as a continually connected, intergrated story, leading eventually to the ideas of the Founding Fathers, and thus to the present day.

DonnaM

• Reviewed on Monday, May 28, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011/2012 School Year
My son is just finishing the recorded HAOH Ancient History, which he took in via the computer (pre-recorded). We both LOVED this program! You can read the other reviews for the lay out but let me say that this is the BEST, most NEUTRAL, SECULAR (I am Catholic but appreciate the fact that there is NO Liberal or Conservative lean in Powell's presentation; just history and why it matters!). My son found this history program very engaging, he learned a ton, was able to write long answer complex exams with great success, and is begging to continue next year. I have been homeschooling for 5 years and this is the BEST History Product I have come across! It includes geography, history lectures 3x/week, art history 1x/week (our favorite), and great exams if you choose to partake in them. Look no further, this is a fabulous program! We will continue with the Middle Ages for Grade 8 and Modern History for Grade 9.

Donna

KingK

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 24, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My 7th grade daughter and I have been very happy with History at Our House-Ancient History. Mr. Powell offers a live class four times a week, or you can register to participate in the live class once a week and just listen to the other classes which are recorded, or you can just sign-up to listen or watch the classes. The recordings are usually posted later in the day of the class.
We decided to give this a try as I was looking for the next step up from Story of the World. Mr. Powell is very knowledgable and enjoys teaching history. He likes to engage the kids in the live class by asking them questions. I love that the kids in the live classes are required to do narrations and when Mr. Powell goes over the Practice tests in class (mostly essay questions), he has the kids take turns reading their answers to the questions and then he talks them through how to improve their answers. So he also is teaching them how to organize their thoughts, and keep focused on answering the question and not getting sidetracked.
They also do lots of maps and once a week they spend the class period studying art from the time period. My daughter enjoyed the Art days so much, we switched from just listening to the recordings to her doing live classes once a week so she could participate in the class on art days.
The kids learn so much from studying art. Before they are allowed to formulate any ideas about the art (usually paintings), he teaches them to analyze all parts of the paintings. So, they learn not only about the time period they are studying, but also about the time period in which it was painted. A painting done of Ancient Rome today looks much different than one painted during the Renaissance as they had very different ways of portraying concepts than we do now.
We are thrilled that Mr. Powell is planning on teaching Asian history this next year and will definitely sign up again.