Science 2 (Nancy Larson Publishers)

rika4584

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 7, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd-4th
  • Dates used: Aug. 2011--present
We have used Nancy Larson Science Level 2 with our 8 and almost 10 year old and we LOVE it!! The teacher’s manual is scripted, but if you don’t like that sort of thing you can just read over it and use your own words when teaching. The program came with almost everything that you would need for the activities, you just supply household items like paper clips, scrap paper, hard cover books, etc. The program teaches the material in a very child-friendly way. My kids always end the lesson with the comment, “Wow! I can’t believe I didn’t know that already!” This is because they don’t even realize how much they’ve learned until they complete the worksheet and get 100% on it, plus the material teaches it so naturally that it almost feels like you already knew it somehow even though you didn’t (Kind of hard to explain ). There are reviews and tests built into the curriculum as well as science word lists to help with vocabulary retention. The CD-rom has supplemental resources to help “drive the lesson home.” It is expensive but it is sooo worth it! It even teaches study skills and the kids learn how and what to hi-light in their booklets to help them during study time. It has a built-in reinforcement of reading and my 10 year old’s reading comprehension is now at grade level, whereas before this science program he was behind. Seems odd that science can hugely impact reading, right? Well, Nancy Larson did her research and developed such a curriculum! The lessons take about 20-30 minutes and are hands-on. It is fun AND easy to teach! My kids actually remember things they learned 4 months ago so this alone makes me a happy camper. I highly recommend this program! I’m looking forward to purchasing level 3 next month. She’s also coming out with a couple more levels. I believe level 4 will be available Summer 2012! Highly recommended!