Exploration Education

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 16, 2015
  • Grades Used: 4-6th
  • Dates used: 2010
We really liked Exploration Education's Intermediate science curriculum. It was thorough, fun, and easy for my kids to follow through with. I literally handed them the box and said, "Go do your science." Then I was free to work with another child or do one of the other million things on my list.

Not only was it truly self-directed, but my children retained the information they learned.. They liked the practical applications, and LOVED having the cool finished projects.

A few things this course offers that I have not found other places:
-teaches my student to follow directions (you can tell this program was written by someone who has worked with kids)
-teaches follow through--student learns to finish what they start
-teaches problem solving skills in real life situations (why does your car pull to the left?)
-my student gained hands on project experience.

Overall, our experience was very positive and I have recommended Exploration Education to my friends.

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 9, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I let my 2nd grade son choose between a couple of different science curricula last year, and he chose Exploration Education.

Pros: We got through the entire book, which is unusual for us! My son enjoyed it for most of the year, though by the end he was tired of it. We liked assembling the car, boat, etc. This program requires no preparation as a parent/teacher. I felt like it covered a great range of topics and the things that we learned come up in conversation regularly.

Cons: I was turned off by the number of typos in the book, and we were very annoyed that some of the experiments/activities did NOT have the results described in the book. For instance, two magnets did NOT pick up more paper clips than one magnet, and two magnets did not attract paper clips at a shorter distance than one magnet.

I don't regret using this program, but it would be much improved with some edits.

• Reviewed on Monday, May 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I ordered the Elementary and Advanced levels. The advanced is exactly the same as the intermediate standard level except the advanced has more in each chapter. My son is a science whiz, so I thought he'd enjoy it. However, my daughter isn't so much into science yet and needed a basic level.

Both my kids really enjoyed the activities and computer interaction. However, neither had much luck with the workbooks. My son also had trouble with the questions and review in the computer. The wording was very stiff and formal. I was disappointed that the intermediate level wasn't just that. Something at an upper elementary or middle school level grammar but more advanced science topics. Instead, it's like a shortened high school book. Plus the workbook questions were all on the computer so it was a waste of time and confusing to have both. If you wanted to review something in the computer, you had to start all over because there was no way to save your answers and come back. I was also disappointed that the elementary workbook was just a glorified coloring book. There were no comprehension questions at all.

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: Appropriate for grades 7-10
  • Dates used: 2012
Since we have been contacted by an individual who read the review below and asked about the metal, we felt obliged to clarify. Indeed, the piece of metal is in the curriculum box. It is in a manila envelope labeled “Contains Metal for Steamboat”. Each curriculum box also has a bright green sheet with a section titled “Check contents” that lists all of the items in the curriculum. If in the rare circumstance an item is missing, we will send one out ASAP. Even if an item is lost by the customer, we generally send out a new one, our compliments. Our goal is the success of the student and we encourage individuals to contact us if ever they need help. As one of our customers said; "What speed! What great customer service! Thank you for your generosity and dedication! Your company is a blessing to the home schooling community!" Cynthia - AR

Exploration Education