Exploration Education

frankiec

• Reviewed on Monday, May 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 5th, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I ordered the Elementary and Advanced levels. The advanced is exactly the same as the intermediate standard level except the advanced has more in each chapter. My son is a science whiz, so I thought he'd enjoy it. However, my daughter isn't so much into science yet and needed a basic level.

Both my kids really enjoyed the activities and computer interaction. However, neither had much luck with the workbooks. My son also had trouble with the questions and review in the computer. The wording was very stiff and formal. I was disappointed that the intermediate level wasn't just that. Something at an upper elementary or middle school level grammar but more advanced science topics. Instead, it's like a shortened high school book. Plus the workbook questions were all on the computer so it was a waste of time and confusing to have both. If you wanted to review something in the computer, you had to start all over because there was no way to save your answers and come back. I was also disappointed that the elementary workbook was just a glorified coloring book. There were no comprehension questions at all.

HEER

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: Appropriate for grades 7-10
  • Dates used: 2012
Since we have been contacted by an individual who read the review below and asked about the metal, we felt obliged to clarify. Indeed, the piece of metal is in the curriculum box. It is in a manila envelope labeled “Contains Metal for Steamboat”. Each curriculum box also has a bright green sheet with a section titled “Check contents” that lists all of the items in the curriculum. If in the rare circumstance an item is missing, we will send one out ASAP. Even if an item is lost by the customer, we generally send out a new one, our compliments. Our goal is the success of the student and we encourage individuals to contact us if ever they need help. As one of our customers said; "What speed! What great customer service! Thank you for your generosity and dedication! Your company is a blessing to the home schooling community!" Cynthia - AR

Sincerely,
Exploration Education

nomdeplume

• Reviewed on Friday, April 20, 2012
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
Before we headed into the boring high school years with Apologia, I wanted my son to have one last fun science experience, so I bought Exploration Education.

Unfortunately, my son didn't find the course fun! The items you are supposed to build often didn't turn out right, or were not made of quality materials and broke before the experiments were finished (especially the glider). We were never able to build the boat at all, because they kit doesn't include the metal (*** Please see correction and apology below!). The balance didn't really work correctly, either. This could be due to they way my son built it, but nonetheless, it affected the experiments. He did enjoy the "guitar."

If you want to go back and check something on the computer program, you have to re-answer all the questions in order to get to the page you want. That is frustrating.

There are a couple instances in which the answers in the answer key don't seem to match the questions, and there are also some spelling errors in the curriculum.

The units are quite long, and some review along the way is needed.

I applaud the author for trying to make an interesting physical science curriculum. I think with some tweaking, higher quality materials (sturdier wood for the glider, balance and house), it would be a very fine curriculum. I hope they make the needed changes so that others will be able to really enjoy this science program.

************** CORRECTION! *****************

As the publisher stated above, the metal actually IS in the kit. After going out and purchasing some metal at a home improvement store, which wasn't the right thickness, we had given up on the boat. One day, what to my wondering eyes did appear, but the metal for the steamboat in an envelope! We had been looking for it with all the other materials and not in an envelope. I apologize to the publisher for incorrectly stating that the metal wasn't in the kit. Please forgive me. The steamboat did work and is a neat little thing.

August 16, 2012

HREE

• Reviewed on Friday, February 24, 2012
  • Dates used: Spring 2011
Hi higgypiggy,
Since your review we have updated our Elementary Curriculum (spring of 2011) to better serve the older students in the K-3 range. As an example, the activity book now includes a "Further Study" activity (additional experiment) with each lesson. It is a more in depth experiment geared for the older students to let them dive deeper into the topic they are studying. You can check out an example at:

John Grunder -- Exploration Education