Draw Write Now!

nellie

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 28, 2009
  • Grades Used: k-4
  • Dates used: 2008-present
If your child likes to draw then these books are very easy to use and contain lots of fun drawings. Even if your child doesn't like to draw, they may after using these. I feel the writing with them is optional. You could use them as art only very easily. I highly recommend these!

NicolaMa

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 5, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2007/2008
This review is for Book 6: Animals & Habitats - On Land, Ponds & Rivers, Oceans

We used this book as part of our curriculum this year with Winter Promise's Animals and Their Worlds. Divided into three sections this book focuses on animals found on land, in ponds and rivers and in oceans. Each page gives step by step instructions to draw the animal and text to copy for handwriting practice. There is also a page at the end of each section with more information on the specific animal and recommended books to read.

My son loved this book with a passion. We soon gave up on copying the text as it was way too much writing for this 7yo. Instead, I had him dictate a story to me and I would write it down. So it became an exercise in creative writing/expression rather than handwriting. The drawing instructions are very straightforward and easy to follow. I would draw the picture right along with him and did occasionally need to help him now and then when he couldn't get something to look just how he wanted it to. I had just as much fun drawing as he did.

My son is very art oriented and draws on his own pretty much everyday. When doing this type of instructional drawing I think it is very important to stress that everyone's drawings will look different from each other's and that the picture in the book is only a suggestion, so the child should feel free to do their own thing with it. The goal is not to create an exact duplicate of the picture in the book, but to use the instructions to help them make their own creation.

Ds enjoyed this book so much that we are adding one to next year's curriculum. Recommended to anyone, young or old, who enjoys drawing.

Leonana

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
My daughter has enjoyed this book. We have the one called On The Farm. She loves to work independently, and is able to do so with this book. She can easily copy the pictures, and loves to see the end result. She dislikes copying the sentences, so I am glad she is at least drawing the pictures, and improving her fine motor skills. Use of this book has improved her drawing.

You can also create a unit study based on the picture, if you so desire. I like to use the book as a break between our other studies, and it works well for us.

Michelle My Bell

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten/1st
  • Dates used: Currently 2006-2007
I am using these books as a gentle introduction to history and science, handwriting and art for my 6 year old. Each book has a theme. The one we are working on right now is farm animals. There is also a section in the books that list additional books you can get from your library to learn more about the topic the child is working on. We are using 1 read-aloud a day that is related. Since I am working on Farm Animals, I am using the Herriott Treasury, that has all those wonderful England Farm Vetrinary stories. (I know I spelled that wrong!)

I have my daughter look at the page, I read the sentences to her and then I give her a worksheet I made on the computer with a box at the top and the sentences printed in light grey for her to copy over. (We have Educational Fontware, so I use Abeka's handwriting style).

While she is drawing, coloring and writing her sentences, I read her a story.

After that we do Math-U-See, First Language Lessons and Phonics Pathways. We also read a chapter out of the Catherine Vos Children's Story Bible. I will be adding in Discovering Great Artists by Mary Ann Kohl as soon as I order it.

Michelle