Time4Learning (Math K-8)

Click for more information about Time4Learning (Math K-8)

mamatoherroo

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st-7th
  • Dates used: 2007-2013
Time4Learning Math is part of the complete offerings of Time4Learning which includes Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, and Art. Presented from a secular world view.
Time4Learning Math is an online, interactive math curriculum. Students log in to their individual account and select Math. The program guides them to where they should go because completed lessons are indicated, and a blinking arrow points to the next lesson to be done. Lessons are presented by animated characters. In many lessons the student is offered practice questions to ensure that she gets the idea. When the questions are answered there is usually an indication to the student that they got the answer correct, and a brief review of how the problem is worked. If the student gets the answer correct they are praised, if they get it incorrect the program is gentle in correction.
My student found the program easy to navigate and was not intimidated at all, even from a very young age. While the program is designed for the student to work independently, I did sit with my student, especially at an early age because she has focus issues. Resource pages are offered to go along with some of the lessons, these look like workbook pages and are printable.
Access to the grade the student is registered for, as well as the grade below and the grade above, means that the student can move at their own pace in math, independent of their other subjects. This means if your child is a fast math learner they are not limited to staying within the registered grade. Or, if your child needs to drop back and do extra reviewing in math to pack down a concept, then they can have access to the previous year.
As a parent/teacher I particularly liked that the lessons are planned for me. Scope and sequence is provided. Lessons are automatically graded for me. Records are kept and are sortable and printable. When I was a new homeschooler this was particularly important because it took the pressure off of me and made it so that my focus could be on my child, not on planning lessons.
Price for the complete curriculum package including math is a very reasonable at less than $20 per month. While students are not required to use the other subjects offered, the math is not available as a separate package.
I consider the math to be a very thorough curriculum, and my daughter learned the concepts well, and retained a lot of the information year to year. There are a large number of lessons in each grade.
I have and would continue to recommend Time4Learning Math to fellow homeschoolers, especially those who have visual learners.

lprstn

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th & &7th
  • Dates used: 2013
We use this as a supplement or practice to our out of the box curriculum. It's a different way to reinforce math facts and the kids enjoy working on the lessons. We do it on 'non' school days as an activity and the kids don't even consider it extra learning. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with it as our solitary math curriculum, but others have used it as such. I suppose doing so for the elementary school level would be sufficient.