NaturExplorers (Shining Dawn Books)

blackadar

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 25, 2009
  • Grades Used: PK-1
  • Dates used: 2009
Homeschooling is a series of choices, and one of the most important ones is curriculum. When I first discovered the NaturExplorers series, I was instantly impressed with the versatility of lessons and the cross-curricular units, and now as I delve into the individual studies, I am ecstatic with my children’s response to the units. Each day they are eager for nature studies, wondering where the lesson will take us—outside for a nature walk or indoors for a hands-on activity, and no matter which activities we have tried, my children have prospered with the variety of multi-aged activities.

At present, we are studying “Deciduous Trees,” and since our on-the-go family travels frequently, I love the portability of this curriculum. I have toted my binder in the car and on the plane, pulled it out on vacation and in our backyard, and with the variety of notebooking pages, we have taken nature walks all over the country—each walk like a new learning experience. And no matter where we are, at the end of a lesson, my children have not only gained a deeper understanding of God’s great creations, but they have had fun in the process. I highly recommend NaturExplorers: it is an exceedingly adaptable curriculum, which provides a wealth of activities and fosters a love of learning in your children.

jeanette

• Reviewed on Tuesday, November 24, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd-5th
  • Dates used: 2009
I have been wanting to start nature studies with my children but wasn't sure how to go about it in an organized manner. I purchased "Coping with the Cold" NaturExplorers nature study unit and have been very pleased!
There are several creative suggestions for activities, notebooking pages, as well as cross-curricular items such as poems and artwork that relate to the subject-how animals adapt to cold weather. Migration, hibernation and adaptations are all studied in this unit. This unit is wonderful for multi-level teaching as well.
Units are available in ebook format, so the cost is very low. You really get alot for your money. I am already planning on which unit we will order next!