Learning Adventures: a World of Adventure

jhawk30kc

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 10, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2nd, 3rd, 5th & 6th
  • Dates used: 2011-Present
We have used Learning Adventures for 2 years now and WE LOVE IT ! I It includes pretty much everything except math. I do add handwriting and some logic books too. My kids enjoy the way everything is presented and they love the selection of reading books. I like the ease of not having to stess over lesson plans. It's all right there for you. Dorian Holt does a great job of explaining things so that every level can understand it. We will continue to use Learning Adventures. I am so glad that I dont have to stay up late nights anymore searching for curriculum.

5arrows

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 11, 2010
  • Grades Used: 4th-5th
  • Dates used: 2010
We are in our 4th month of using this curriculum, and I am very happy with it. We used KONOS last year, which I really enjoyed, but my work schedule made it necessary to switch to something a little easier to manage this year. I found that Learning Adventures had all the elements I loved about KONOS with a lot more ease of use. It is very open and go, with all the components written out for each day. There is a list of necessary supplies at the beginning of each unit, and there are worksheets to accompany the lessons.

My kids have truly enjoyed our studies. I particularly like Dorian's choices for literature. Even my 6-year old has learned a lot by listening. Our favorite so far has been the Classic Myths to Read Aloud. We are stretching the units out a bit longer than written because of our schedule, but that's been very easy to do. I also skip or rearrange some of the activities as needed, based on what our life needs at the moment.

As a writing instructor myself, I appreciate the built-in writing elements. Dorian breaks down the writing process into very manageable pieces and obviously knows what she is doing.

We do not always use the spelling lists, as I have one child who struggles with spelling and needs a more basic level, but I do like her suggestions for learning the words.

Overall a great program -- I hope that more people will discover and appreciate the hard work that went into it. I understand that the completion of the last two units has been put on hold indefinitely due to finances, but I'm hoping that by the time we get there it will have changed.

mmsanchez09

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 25, 2010
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Ok, we're only in day 3 of using this unit study. We have never used any unit study before, and this is our first year, after my son was totally burnt out on school. Let me just say that we BOTH love it! No longer am I having to fuss with him to try and get him to do his work; especially for history; but it's a joy and it's so much fun to do!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who are not the classic or traditional learners.

mn_kids

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 4, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd and 5th
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We began our year using Sonlight and I soon started drowning and because my whole budget was swallowed up by it, I had to do some serious research. I found AWOA used and we soon began our journey that has totally changed our year and my idea of school. It includes everything except math and typing. This is the best written unit study I have ever seen and I have used a lot!! It flows perfectly and even my 4 year old is learning right along with us. Dorian has a wonderful ability to write and everything is so engaging. I love school now and so do my kiddos. I even have a 1 year old in the mix and it is still going smoothly!! God bless!