Reading Horizons

dpolla8

• Reviewed on Tuesday, March 20, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st - 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2011
I have 2 kids that have used this computer based reading program.
My firstborn, male, used it for 1st grade and we did a brush up review of it at the begining of 2nd grade. He learned the basics of reading in a private school for K. Then for homeschool we used Reading Horizons for 1st grade. By the end of the year he was pronouncing words that I could not!
He would set himself up on the computer and just simply do the next lesson and read the books that went along with it. I didn't have to do hardly anything! Thanks to this program he is an excellent reader!!! Oh also, I never taught him spelling, but with this program combined with reading books, I tested him and was impressed with how well he spells! When he was in 3rd grade he was spelling on a 5th grade level.

My 2nd child, daughter, who is very creative by nature, used this in K and 1st and learned to read completely with this program. However, she is not as self motivated as my firstborn, so I had to sit next to her and keep her focused on each lesson, and reinforce it afterward. I know this is how it is designed. She did learn to read with this program and all I need to do now is reinforce the rules.
Both love the games that come along with it!

Very detailed, covers all the phonics plus sight words to get them reading quickly. Books that come with it go along with the lessons.

Overall I am very pleased with Reading Horizons and I recommend it to many homeschool friends. I purchased one time and am using it for all 3 kids.

sage64

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 3, 2011
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: currently using
For starters Reading Horizons has excellent customer service. My daughter age 7, is using version 5 which is for 10 and up. The program is complete which means I don't have to keep buying more levels. This is definitely one of the best homeschooling products I have purchased.

jeriRH

• Reviewed on Friday, January 22, 2010
  • Grades Used: ages 4-9 version
  • Dates used: used over thirty years
Since I work for Reading Horizons and am unable to post an unbiased review, I would like to suggest here instead a few of the recommendations we've received from various sources that may be recognized by homeschooling families. Mary Pride, of "Practical Homeschooling Magazine" named Discover Intensive Phonics (offered by Reading Horizons) as her "pick of the crop". Mary Hahn, author of the book "Catholic Education: Homeward Bound" says on page 355--- "Hands down, this is the phonics program I recommend." In the Summer 2009 issue of "The Old Schoolhouse Magazine", author Linda Mikottis refers to Discover Intensive Phonics as her choice in an article entitled "Special Needs Curriculum: Be Flexible", p.95.
School and Institutions have use the Reading Horizons products for over thirty years. It is only recently that the products have been made available and accessible for homeschooling families. For more information about the use and success of this methodology and strategies in Literacy Centers or clinics such as the University of Utah Reading Clinic, contact Jeri at 800-705-6568.