Mastering Essential Math Skills (Richard W. Fisher)

TriciaS

• Reviewed on Sunday, November 24, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th-5th
  • Dates used: 2013
After using 4 programs in 3 school years we back tracked for 6th grade and started using book 1 of this series and we love it. We doubled the pace for areas that turned out to be review and will be moving on to the second book after Christmas.

The lessons fit on one page and the accompanying video lessons are informative and to the point. For us this is the solution we've been looking for.

Leanne Halling

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 8, 2009
  • Grades Used: Pre-Algebra
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
After trying several other popular math programs for Pre-Algebra and still feeling clueless I read a positive review on Mastering Essential Math Skills and decided, out of desperation, to give it a try. My 13 year old son and I couldn't be more pleased with this curriculum. Mr. Fisher takes you gently, step-by-step, through the pre-algebra concepts in his DVD, included with the consumable, 96 page workbook. One page a day,with less than 20 problems is all that is needed to master the concept being taught, so concise and effective is Mr. Fisher's presentation. Each 20 minute lesson includes: 3 to 6 review problems for reinforcement of previously taught concepts, a helpful hints section, then 10 problems to work and, finally, one word problem.

My son enjoyed and even looked forward to listening to Mr. Fisher's easy-going friendly manner as he guided him through the days lesson within 15-20 minutes. I also like that it is self-contained. No extra teacher guide or manipulatives to purchase. All of his math books are very affordable. I highly recommend this math curriculum for any student beginning pre-algebra or struggling with their current curriculum. My only disappointment is that Mr. Fisher's Algebra I book won't be out until spring 2010.

~Leanne