DIVE Into Math

eurybia

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 28, 2014
  • Grades Used: 6/5
  • Dates used: Jan 1- 25, 2014
We are very disappointed in the Dive CD. It is excruciatingly boring! Each video lesson is supposed to go over the lesson and practice problems thoroughly but I have found it to be quite superficial and it too often completely leaves out any explanation of the more difficult concepts (this is really my main complaint). It is a blue board environment where you only hear the presenter speaking which is wonderful in programs like Khan Academy (which we love) but in Dive, the teacher is monotone and does not seem to have a firm grasp or love of math himself. Also, Warning! your money will not be refunded if your not happy with the product.

laura291

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 6, 2013
  • Grades Used: 4th - 6th
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I bought the DIVE CDs for my 4th and 6th graders who are using Saxon Math 54 and 65. I think it's well done and short enough to give a good example, without getting boring to the kids. Each lesson is only about 10 to 15 minutes long. However, we have pretty much stopped using them. I found that we just don't need them. I'm able to sit down and teach the information myself, and of course that is much more interactive for my kids. Now, if we get to a point in math where I don't understand it well enough to teach it, I will certainly buy another DIVE CD. For the lower grades though, Saxon does such a good job explaining the concepts that a parent can quickly pick it up and teach it to his/her child.

bcbzkm

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 28, 2009
  • Grades Used: Saxom 8/7
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
A great asset to have with the saxon program. The DIVE cd has made all of our lives much easier. The teacher is a PhD and highly skilled. The computer black board reinforces visual learning, the lecture reinforces auditory learning, and my kids do the math problems as the teacher is teaching them which helps reinforce the lesson. You can pause and rewind each lesson which is helpful.
It is time consuming. Taking about 1 hour for all 4 parts of the lesson. However, I find it is worth the extra time, b/c it saves time down the road when I dont have to review as many missed problems from tests. I believe this will be what we will use throughout highschool.

teach2draw

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 3, 2008
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
I purchased this for 7th grade. My dd used it for a short time. Upon deciding to resell it, I found to my dismay that DIVE does not allow for resell of their CDs. This requirement is posted on their website, but since I did not buy from them directly, I did not know about their stipulation. But now I feel that I cannot resell since I do know now....

Just be forewarned that the DIVE CDs are not supposed to be resold. I know there are a ton of them out there being sold in the secondary market (just check out eBay), but it's not what the owners of DIVE want. Just wanted to pass this info on to others.