Apologia Zoology 3

melissasb

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 21, 2013
  • Grades Used: k-1
  • Dates used: 2012
I don't think this is K curriculum like the website says. It's 2-3rd grade at least. I bought zoo 3 and botany. Botany is even more harder I think. These are great books to have on the shelf for reference though. I just think that they contain so much and it wouldn't get it's proper due till the child is older. However, we will do two years of A Reason for Science and then come back to these.

MotherDuck

• Reviewed on Thursday, June 17, 2010
  • Grades Used: Summer 2nd - 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
A friend told us about Aplogia Science and, knowing my daughter, told me to start with book 3.

My daughter is almost 8 and loves animals. We live on a farm and she's usually front-and-center with animal veterinary care. She's seen me deliver the baby goats, and seen the vet perform some pretty rough work with abcesses and other injuries. She's not squemish, is good with animals and especially loves wild canines.

With this in mind, she LOVES the Apologia Book 3. She can't read it by herself in many cases (I think it's written on about a 4th grade or perhaps a little higher level, and of course it contains the Latin names for animals, genus, species, etc. Some of these I have trouble pronouncing myself) but she remembers a great deal of what I read to her.

This book is chock-full of information; perhaps too much for kids not as interested in animals. The book is Christian/creationist in focus, but does not shy away from realistic facts about animals. (i.e. dingos have been known to eat children, for instance.)

My only wish is that the publisher would offer pre-made questions/test sheets. I made my own to help reinforce the vocabulary (some of which is very advanced) and some of the basic facts. I'm not making her learn all the latin names we've studied, although she HAS learned some.

When we started book 3, I did a preliminary lesson on animal classification, since this must be covered in an earlier book. I also added some information to the discussion on genetics, as I didn't feel that the book made it clear.

We'll continue to use this book and this series. She begs me to read it to her.

All children have their interests, and this book might be overkill for some kids. If your child loves animals, however, this might be the book for you.

God bless you and your children as you search for good curriculum!

dogmansgirl

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 4, 2009
  • Grades Used: elementary
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We love the Apologia series "Exploring Creation with
Zoology 3 - Land Animals of the 6th Day"

These books are colorful and easy to read. They have a good layout and enough detail to interest the student without overwhelming. The order the animals are presented makes sense. We like the use of scripture refrences thoughout the book. The experiements do not require hard to find objects and are easy enough for the children to do with either a parent or an older sibling. There is a list in the front of the book of all items needed for the experiments in the book. We copied this page to use as our shopping list, marking off what we had on hand and what we needed to obtain.

There is a chapter in the book on dinosaurs that gives very compelling and scientific reasons to believe creation. It gives ideas about what happened to the dinosaurs and examples of common dinosaurs to study. Our family likes that the book used the words "probably" and "might have" when describing dinosaur behavior, living habits, or appearance.

Overall, this is a very well put together science book for the elementary crowd. We will continue to use it for our children.

Natalie