Adventures in Phonics

heavenlyhoney

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 9, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2010-11
I used Adventures in Phonics B with my 1st grade son after he needed a change from Explode the Code. It didn't go over well. He found it boring, unenjoyable and there was too much writing. Much of the book was too easy for him but the other half was too hard and included topics that I thought weren't level-appropriate, such as various rules for dividing words into syllables, or using apostrophes to show possession; topics that I usually teach in about 3rd grade grammar.

After completing book B, we went back to Explode the Code. It is more interesting and it is also easier to place a child at the correct level because there are 8 books to choose from instead of AiP's 3.

All of that said, I do appreciate that AiP is available as a download from CurrClick, which makes it convenient and reusable. I also liked the inclusion of Bible topics in the phonics work.

lovemykiddos

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 11, 2012
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We are using Adventures in Phonics level A for my 6yo. boy. I love the way the vowels are taught and the progression of the phonics lessons. Starts off with short vowels and then continues to consonants, long vowels and then special sounds. The pages are a little cluttered in my opinion. There could be more white space on the pages. The pages are made up of black gray and blue colors. I definately think you need a seperate handwriting curriculum while using this. There is a good amount of writing but not good letter practice and tracing. Students start writing words in a month or two depending on how many pages you complete a day. This is a boring workbook but it really gets right down to the teaching of phonics without the fluff and singing songs like other curriculums. There is hardly any grammer in the workbook. That is something I would have liked to see. No sentence structure or other language arts skills. Basically just spelling words and filling in the blank. I have to ask my child to write simple sentences and he is struggling with it, we are almost to the end of the book. The whole book consists of write the word under the picture. Over all the book does teach phonics and spelling but I don't think its a good stand alone workbook.

farmlady

• Reviewed on Friday, May 6, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
ZZZZZZZZ....oh I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep...we were working out of Adventures in Phonics...seriously, this book is so dry and boring. When it's time for Phonics, my 7 yo daughter's eyes just kinda glaze over. She's a great reader, it's just that this program is almost unbearable. Every page is almost exactly like the last, just with different letters/digraphs, etc. You mark the vowels. You circle the picture. You write the word. At first I thought it was a really thorough approach, and maybe it is, but we almost can't take anymore. Now we're almost through it and I don't even make her do the exercises. I just review the page with her and ask her to tell me the sound and point to the correct picture. I also liked the idea of learning the grammar rules, but they're too hard for a 7 yo to remember. It's like reading a dictionary definition. I can't wait for this book to be finished so we can move on to something more engaging.

Calming Tea

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 23, 2011
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2007 and 2009
I used AIP A with both of my children for Kindergarten. This is an excellent program! After using it, both of my dc were reading on a first grade level and taking off with confidence.

I used the Teacher's Manual and CLP Kindergarten Readers. I didn't overuse the charts, because both my kids felt overwhelmed if I used the charts too much. I only used them for review now and then.

This was affordable and easy to use. My children are both great readers. Neither of them loved all the writing involved. But it helped them so much!

I followed this up with the Pathway First Grade Readers and Phonics Pathways.