Developmental Math

mumof4

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 4, 2010
  • Dates used: 2010
can anyone tell me where I can purchase "Developmental Math"? Or at least a picture? I googled it, and I get different types of Developmental programs and not sure if it's the correct one you're all talking about :) thanks

my son is 12 and developmentally delayed this sounds right for him

clarice

• Reviewed on Friday, June 18, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
My eleven year old autistic daughter has a very difficult time with math. She has been unable to learn simple addition by counting on her fingers, using a number line, learning Touchpoints (which I was incapable of learning...:-/) fiddling with manipulatives which were distracting and plain "Repeat after me!" rote memorization.

She currently spends 90 minutes per schoolday in a math pullout. And she still cannot easily do simple addition.

I recently bought Developmental Math books 1 and 2 - basic addition and subtraction.

The need for her is mastery of one concept at a time so the simple repetition is perfect. There are several pages where the problems are written 4+1=___ and then 1+4=_____. Although it's hard to believe, these are two completely different problems for her. There is very little carry-over for her from problem to problem, so again the repetition is ideal.

The two color pages - orange and white or green and white - are not distracting (which is a rather significant problem for her) and yet they are not a visual hole for her as black and white can be.

The workbooks are definately user friendly with a little set-up from the parent. When the child knows what to do they can proceed with little input from you.

They are inexpensive - around $9 per workbook - which was a steal for us after all the manipulatives she has used at school with no real progress.

If you have a child who is struggling with similar issues I would recommend this program. If however, you have a child who is an average learner and doesn't need to have it pounded into their heads I would NOT recommend it. My 8 year old son, who was struggling a bit with subtraction went through a few pages in the subtraction workbook and bluntly told me that it made him sleepy.

I think the name says it all - Developmental Math.

nancherrow

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 26, 2009
  • Grades Used: k, 1st, 3rd 4th
  • Dates used: 2009
I love this math program! We began at the end of last year after getting to our wit's end with Saxon. Unfortunately, it took us 5 years of gritting our teeth to "get through" math every day to realize that my children do not retain math well when it is presented in a spiral approach (nor do I). Spiral just means that new concepts are regularly introduced while constantly reviewing already learned concepts. Developmental Math is a mastery approach, meaning that each new concept is taught and mastered before moving on to the next concept.

Pros:
*Affordable! Each level (1-16) workbook is around $4.00

*Kids work at their own pace. I tell my kids that they must do at least 2 pages, but they enjoy it so much that they often do 5 or 6.

*This approach is much more gentle than many programs out there-my kids seldom get frustrated at the way concepts are explained

*Self-teaching method. The books are designed so that students are able, in most cases, to work indepentently.

*mathplace.com has free pretests to determine you child's level.

Cons:
*Consumable workbooks.

*Some concepts are not taught, like time, shapes, and measurement, so you will need to supplement those on your own.

*No manipulatives come with it.

*The last level (16) is pre-Algebra and Geometry, so you will need to switch to another program for high school math.

I would heartily recommend this to anyone who is unsatisfied with their current math, or feels like they need to supplement. After all, the initial investment is quite small, so there really is not much to lose.

janeabrown

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 30, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st, 4th -5th
  • Dates used: 2008 - 2009
I love Developmental Math and just started this school year for the following reasons:

1. DM teaches mastery where as at public school they jump to different concepts in math that a child does not have time to master them.

2. Your child learns on his own level with DM. My 5th grader is now on book 10 and at the pace he is going to be ready
for Algebra in the 8th grade. My 4th grader should be Algebra ready in 7th grade.

3. Through the word problems DM has enhanced my children thinking skills and comprehension skills.

My 1st grader started the book on level 2 and now is doing level 5. My 1st grader is now mastering his addition and subtraction and knows how to count money. He does not count on his finger he know how to add and subtract in his head because of how DM teaches these concepts.

As a parent I could see how you could feel your child would be behind his grade level because my child is in the 5th grade and we have not started fractions; however he will be going into book 13 soon when he is in the 6th grade. Also he has master every book he has done with DM so I am not worred a bit because when he gets finished with book 13 I know he will have mastered it and the remaining books will continue to build on everything he has learned thus far.

I am also using Key Series Geometry along with DM. They are doing 2 to 4 pages a day with both work books. I make a drill for them daily which is very simple. The drill consist of things they already completed in the work books they are doing or have done. It is very simple and they are learning and mastering what they are learning.

I would recommend DM to everyone who believes in having there child mastering the concepts instead of just saying they can do it. My oldest is a kinestic learner, middle is a audio learner, younger is visual. All of them are doing well with this program.