Progress Academy

beccaisapunk

• Reviewed on Friday, September 14, 2012
  • Dates used: 2012
So, I'm in 9th grade and have been using this site since August, and I'm approaching a month of using the site.
First of all, I'm paying [well, my parents are paying] 85 dollars a month, and then the initial payment of 95, to use this for an unlimited amount of courses for 365 days.
And, I have to admit I am enjoying it.
Before I was using Time4learning, which is a great site but they only go up to grade 8, so I had to find something that would be affordable, and a decent curriculum, and they were right there.
This semester I'm taking 6 courses, which is all they allow at a time, for fear of burning out, [which I agree with], so I'm taking Algebra 1, English 1, Physical Science, U.S. History, P.E., and Sociology. That's ALOT to take, but with them you can finish early, so I'm trying to do as much as I can.
They meet the core national standards, and I went to public school for awhile, and I'd say they're teaching the same if not more than what we learned. It's kinda tough, honestly. There is no slacking off with them. It takes me AWHILE to do my school work each day, but I'll be finished mega early. I love the fact that there are so many electives and courses I can take, along with the fact all of my textbooks are online, and are interactive. I actually feel a bit challenged, it takes work and dedication to get good grades, so it makes me feel pretty good about myself to know I can still make a 100 on it.
With each course you get a certificate of completion, which is like a couple of sheets with every activity with the course, and during the school year or course semester you basically check it off, write the date you did it, and your grade, and then turn it in when you're done with the course. Which is really really good news for everybody out there interested going into college, because it shows you have your stuff together. I like it.
For you parents out there, when it comes to grading you have your own parent account with the answer keys, since my mom doesn't have a laptop for herself yet, I just do my work, grade it myself and then give it to her for reviewing. She knows I doesn't cheat, seeing how I know for a fact if I did that I wouldn't retain the information, and make good grades on my SAT's which is bad news for me. So, It's not difficult for the parents, really.
It can take a little while to get used to, I'm really really tech savy, so I know what I'm doing by nature, so if you're not really good with computers, this might take quite awhile to get used to.
Also a big concern with me was that for math it would be like reading out of a textbook, but with the interactive textbooks it's like I have a teacher, because it includes videos for each section of the lesson, with an actual teacher [ Professor Ed. Burger ] sitting out and explaining and writing out each equation. You can replay them as much as needed, or go back and pause.
They also offer new student orientation's and virtual tours, so if you're interested you can check those out.
But over all I'm really happy with it! and would recommend it to anyone.

dolphinmask

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 20, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
I am a high school student who used Progress Academy last year, and I'm sorry to say so.
The interface of the website is very confusing. I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to work the website. The owners say that they have a "New Student Orientation" available, but it's honestly about as useful as a soggy newspaper.
The staff for the site blatantly ignore the questions of the students. I once had a question about my curriculum, so I sent a message to the owner of the site, Niqui. Days went by, and I received no answer. I sent the inquiry again. Still no answer. I sent the question again, but my efforts were in vain. I finally was able to contact Niqui, but only after placing a message in the site's news feed IN VERY LARGE LETTERS. You can imagine my disappointment, however, when the answer I received was a rehearsed robotic retort, telling me to refer to the FAQ. As you can imagine, the answer wasn't there. I thought maybe I could ask another Progress student on the forums, but unsurprisingly, every post held topics such as flourless chocolate cake or Justin Bieber. My question was never answered.

Needless to say, as soon as my year there was over, I immediately unenrolled from Progress Academy. In all my eleven years of education, none have been as painful as my year at Progress.

Truly, you get what you pay for, and Progress Academy should be renamed Budget Academy, a much more truthful description.

- A very dissatisfied student

atticusjrt

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 9, 2009
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We started using Progress Academy online for our ADHD homeschooled son last year. We were definately happy with the well rounded subject matter and found it easy enough to combine lessons into three days a week which worked much better for him than the five day a week lessons. There were five subjects at the K level and we opted for the Structured format as opposed to the Flexible format.
Teacher contact is limited at the K level (parents are the primary teacher at K) but any questions we had were answered within a few hours via instant message on the website or by phone or e-mail within a day.
My husband and I both had a hand in administering these lessons to our son and we specifically liked two things about this academy.
First was the Brainpop subscription that our son still utilized even when not schooling just because he liked the site. Secondly and most importantly was that we were able to see the connection between what was being introduced in the lessons and his ability to recall and utilize information later to help him explain and explore his world. An example would be his recognition and exploration on his own of patterns weeks after he was introduced to number patterns in Math.
He also liked recieving a birthday card from the administration and reading the online newsletters with me (he especially liked knowing that there were profiles of other kids like him who homeschool).
Our son is a visual learner and MOST of this academy's learning is geared towards that with great graphics and web design (which is why it works for us) however there was also alot of downloading and writing offline. Towards the end of the year we stopped printing the books for reading and just read them online to save ink.The academy helps with logging hours spent on homeschooling by subject right on the website.
We could not think of alot of negatives to enrollment in this academy. You can pretty much move at your own pace and there is an introducton to 'tests" even at the K level with alot of positive reinforcement of how hard the student is working and what a great job the student is doing.
We are planning on continuing with this academy for First grade in September.