Horizon's Health

PhotoSmiles

• Reviewed on Friday, September 17, 2010
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
Horizons Health, for me, was not what I had expected. There are several reasons why I don't like it:

- The health curriculum is more geared toward group settings rather than homeschoolers or 1-on-1.

- The teacher's manuals do NOT help the teacher (parent) with explanations on each topic. So if you have difficulty verbalizing explanations, or making up your own dialogue, then this is not for you! The manual basically gives the teach a brief outline of what the lesson is about, then jumps into "Describe and discuss this topics with your students..." Okay...well what do I tell them?? As for me, I need some text to read to them because I'm the type of person who has a difficult time explaining my thoughts. I understand the topic - but how on earth do I explain it to my 5 year old?!? So this teacher's manual is more like a guideline, not a manual.

- The lessons are pretty "boring" - I find my son and I to skip through most of the lesson's ideas; which are mostly about puppets and group talk. That's all fine and dandy, but like I said above, what on earth do I say??? So I rely heavily on library books to help me out!!

- You RARELY ever use the student workbook - it's rather pointless in my opinion because most lessons are as I described above. The students just sit and listen or talk - that's it.

I don't recommend Horizons Health to the average homeschooler, you're better off supplementing with activities and library books! The only person I can see using Horizons Health is someone who already has had some experience in teaching health to students.

NicoleMPratt

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 9, 2010
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Horizons Health 4 had a great variety of topics that I felt were pretty well covered. My girls enjoyed reading the student text and liked the workbook.

On the down side, I didn't like that the student text wasn't printed in the teachers manual like some of the other curriculums. I like to be able to read along with my children and not have to look at their books. Some of the information they are tested on isn't in their text books and you will need to supplement with other books or worksheets.

Overall the price is good but I didn't find it the most useful curriculum. I will not be using this next year for Health.

home4028

• Reviewed on Monday, November 23, 2009
  • Grades Used: 3rd -
  • Dates used: 2009-
I am using the 3rd grade edition right now with my kids. Its primarily for my 3rd grader but sometimes my Kindergartener sits in too.

I like it. It does involve a little preparation - but not much more than just perusing the lesson before you tackle it. Sometimes an extra book from the library is recommended. I did get all 3 books: the teacher book, the student book, and the workbook. I would recommend getting all three as I don't think the curric. would work very well without them all. Though, if you had to, you could probably skip the workbook. The teacher book has the instructions on how to conduct the lesson as well as questions to discuss, additional resources, and the basic goals for the lesson. The student book has little excerpts for the student to read on his own and a little more explanation on the topic. I wouldn't try to teach this with only the student book (like you could probably get away with with other currics.) It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

I find these lessons have a good amount of information without being overwhelming. Plus, they seem quick enough that the kids don't get bored by the end. Horizons Health is written from a Christian standpoint so you will encounter language referring to how God would want us to act, how He made us, etc. Some online distributors will allow you a peek inside. It might be worthwhile to look at the table of contents or the scope and sequence to get a feel for what is covered.