Math on the Level

OSAAT

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 11, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd-6th
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
I love this program because it looks at math as a whole, not as isolated parts, and to help you see how all the individual parts are just pieces of a much greater picture. Although there is a bit of a learning curve when you first start this system (it is quite different from a traditional approach), it is wonderful. You can use this system with toddlers all the way through 8th graders simultaneously and you don't keep buying levels every year. You by the system, you own the system and it covers all grade levels up to high school. And not just traditional math concepts but practical application, real world concepts. They really try to guide you, the parent, through every math concept your child will need to be able to function in high school level math and beyond that to the real world and this system, once you get used to it, is ideally suited for homeschoolers.

The only drawbacks are the learning curve at the beginning and it is rather teacher intensive throughout. These are not work books you plop your child in front of and expect them to function complete independently.

That being said. this system is VERY thorough and really helps math make sense. This system is not designed to facilitate rote memorization and regurgitation of memorized facts. This system is designed to help students really understand math and math principles and to be able to practically apply those principles.

fernbrook

• Reviewed on Wednesday, April 17, 2013
  • Grades Used: pre-k thru 5th
  • Dates used: 2011-13
This isn't a well know curriculum yet, but it works in a way other curriculums don't. It is wonderfully flexible and uses many real life applications. It is written BY homeschoolers FOR homeschoolers. I love the fact that I can use this one math curriculum to teach 3 different ages and learning styles. My kids can work at their own ability and I can tailor the lessons to their needs. There is no "busy work" here. They practice a concept daily until mastered. Once a concept is mastered, it's only reviewed as often as I feel it is needed. I was never very good in math but I love how these authors can make even abstract things seem so simple.
The only real drawback is the amount of time I have to spend creating the daily 5s for everyone. When I met the authors, they said they plan to add this soon.