Bob Jones Science

sreasen

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: K5-5th
  • Dates used: 2006-2012
Our children were introduced to Bob Jones Science at the christian school they were attending. When we decided to start homeschooling 3 years ago we just stayed with BJ Science because it is what the girls had always done. We are very familiar with all of the BJ products and here is my opinion.

Pros- Very thorough. If you are looking for a science curriculum that is very thorough and covers all the points then you may like BJ Science. It is in textbook form and the child reads usually about 4-6 pages per lesson. It also comes with an activity manual that goes along with the textbook. Each lesson will have 1 to sometimes 3 pages to fill out with each lesson. Occasionally they will have a lesson with no activity pages to fill out (not very often). I feel the tests and quizzes are a huge help in getting the child to retain the information they learn in the chapters. BJ Science includes a list of materials in the back of the book that will be needed for all the experiments. There is usually one per week or so and most of them are very easy just using household items. There are only a handful that are bigger and require more unusual items.

Cons- It all depends on how your child learns, right? My 3rd grader does excellent with this program. She is a textbook learner and loves this curriculum! However, my 5th grader is NOT a good textbook learner. She is much more hands on and tactile. So, we are looking for a new curriculum for her next year. If your child does not do well just sitting and reading out of a textbook then this is NOT the curriculum for you. In my opinion, the text is a little boring. And for someone who is not interested in science to begin with, it could be a challenge to engage them in what they are reading.

loesje22000

• Reviewed on Monday, December 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: 2nd-3rd
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
We are a ESL family and like BJU Science very much.
We use it for the second year, and it fits in our needs.
The text is approxiamate for the level.
The length of the lessons are not too long.
The notebook could be a little more, but we are learning also from the activities and discussions.

tracymirko

• Reviewed on Thursday, October 8, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Bob Jones Science is now call Science for Home Schools and is published by what is now called BJU Press. We used the 1st grade curriculum this year for our gifted 4yo. It is a little pricey for 1st grade, but it is well worth the money. For $99, we received a very well-rounded program that included the teacher's manual, student reading text, audio tape (I understand that they are currently changing to CDs), student workbook, student tests and answer.

The teacher's manual is wonderful. It lays everything out for you, so there is almost no preparation. Every lesson starts with an activity where the scientific method is used--observation and recording observations. The activities require little preparation and use common materials that you would have on hand at home. They are very short, and while they require guidance from the teacher, the activities can almost all be fully completed by the child.

Each lesson also has a reading component. Every page of the text has beautiful, vibrant pictures that complement the reading. Reading is appropriate for 1st grade. Each chapter also has a Bible verse that is related to the topic (although some are very tenuous connections). The teacher's manual suggests questions and answers that the child should understand from the reading.

There is also a suggested writing assignment for each lesson. Usually, the writing is just making lists. I did the writing for my 4yo, but I think that these assignments are well within the abilities of most 1st graders.

One feature that I really love is the optional family activities. They are designed not to be used during normal instruction time but are for the whole family to use together. This is a great way for the whole family (dad, in particular) to be a part of the home school experience.

Another interesting feature that I did not use is a table of religious principles correlated to the lessons. I felt that the connections were simply too tenuous to teach them with the science lessons and would be better utilized during a family devotional. They are also quite Protestant, so if you are not Protestant, they are not as helpful.

I have very few complaints about the program. The one big thing that I would change is the flow of the topics. The order seemed very random. For example, there is an entire chapter (including 4 lessons) on wild animals, and another chapter on tame animals. But they are not taught one after the other. Instead, they are separated by other unrelated topics.

Lastly, this program fit our family well, because my 4yo does not like to do lengthy hands-on activities and does not like to get dirty. If your child needs these things, then you will need to supplement the program.