Angelicum Academy

Georgia

• Reviewed on Monday, August 15, 2016
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd,6th, 8th
  • Dates used: 2013 to present
I've learned a lot about education from the folks at Angelicum. One thing that was most interesting to me is the relation between reading/writing and speaking/listening. We learn to speak and listen before we learn to read and write. That may seem like a "duh" observation but it helped me to realize how important it is to speak, to converse, to read aloud to those kids in the early years of education. The more experience they get speaking with mom and dad the more they are exposed to proper modeling of language. Also, it seems that doing this [conversing] more with my younger ones helped them become good readers faster. Better speakers sooner, too. It's that grammar/logic/rhetoric thing that naturally happens to them in conversation. So, while I'm grateful for many things I've learned through my experience with Angelicum I especially appreciate the difference this one thing has made

Btw, I've never had any shipping issues with Angelicum.

Joyuex

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 27, 2016
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th
  • Dates used: 2015 - present
One of the things I most appreciate about Angelicum is the stressfreeness [if that isn't a word it should be] of putting a curriculum together for individual students.  There is no set "5th grade curriculum" or "10th grade curriculum."  Though materials are broken into grade levels on the website those are just a guide.  I was told that the norm for a student is to be using courses from different grade levels.  So a 12 year old may be doing 7th grade math, 6th grade grammar, 8th grade science, etc.  I'm free to choose what fits each student best.  So, while it is simpler to just order, for example, "the 6th grade curriculum" it isn't easier for me to work with a student who isn't ready for a particular course in that curriculum. For me it pays off during the school year to choose courses individually at the beginning of the year.

Also, I have no stress from imposed schedules for tests or completion of courses.  We do what fits our homeschool best. Which includes taking a day off [or a week!] whenever it seems to be the thing to do.  The kids have done great with their work [advancing well] and part of that is because mom isn't feeling unnecessarily pressured.  I have enough normal mom pressures and none of us around here wants mom to have more than that :)

LaudateDominum7

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 19, 2016
  • Grades Used: N-college
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
The Great Books Academy is hands down the most academic homeschool program out there. No problems here with orders or delays. Don't let a couple of negative reviews on shipping keep you from finding out for yourself how excellent this program is. They have 24/7 answering and have been around for 17 years, growing each year. But what is important is their Great Books program. Their founders knew Mortimer Adler personally and follow his advice to teach teen minds the Great Books, when they most influence them for good. Very highly recommended.

mamateach1

• Reviewed on Friday, July 1, 2016
  • Dates used: 2012-16
Loved this program!! Not only did I receive a great education and get to know the incredible GB moderators, but I also got over a year in college credits at a state university out of it! Shout out to Mr. B!