Angelicum Academy

Adella_McGuire

• Reviewed on Friday, March 14, 2014
  • Grades Used: K through 12th
  • Dates used: 2000-2014
2014. My four kids have attended the Angelicum Academy from k through 12th (two of them so far) and three have earned college credits doing the Angelicum Great Books Program (grades 9-12). They all loved the program and read far more very important books than I did in high school.

The whole focus of the Angelicum Academy is on completing the study of the Great Books of Western civilization in high school years before other interests and responsibilities (and costs) make it prohibitive - this idea came directly from Dr. Mortimer J, Adler who founded the Great Books movement and knew the founders of the Angelicum Academy. Because the Angelicum Great Books Program includes virtually the same texts as college Great Books programs do, many colleges accept those credits - up to 48, which is 1 1/2 years of college - no other homeschool program offers anything even remotely close to that.

If you are looking first for solid, top-notch academics in a distinctively Catholic program the Angelicum Academy is exactly it. If your first interest is just basic education, ease of study or other secondary considerations, then you might look elsewhere. The Great Books Academy is a secular spin-off from the Angelicum Academy designed for acceptance and use in public charter schools for independent study students for which some states (including CA) pay tuition - the readings are virtually identical.

MarthaW

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 30, 2013
  • Grades Used: high school
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
My oldest son just completed the Angelicum Great Books Program. The Great Books Program is a separate program from the Angelicum Academy Homeschool Program, although they are both run by members of the Angelicum. I believe his experience with the Angelicum was very positive and beneficial for his education. The members of the Angelicum were very helpful throughout his high school years. Papers and essays were graded and returned to us in a timely manner, emails were answered within 24 hours, phone calls returned timely as well. The moderators seemed to really care about my son and gave us individual attention throughout the years. My son not only received a wonderful high school education during his years with Angelicum, he also is walking away with 48 college credits! Hard to top that.

KristinaDrews5

• Reviewed on Friday, September 3, 2010
  • Grades Used: 6-7th grades and 8-9th grades
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
This is my second school year with the Angelicum Academy. My children have both done so well with this program. Their materials are really excellent and well scheduled to fit our needs. We can mix and match any grade level. My younger son is in three different "grade levels" and this is just fine with the Angelicum Academy.

We use the main courses that Angelicum offers and have found these to be enough. We do not have time to fit their art, music, cartography and philosophy into our school day. I would like to have my children study these extra courses, but our schedule is full enough with the main courses.

We really enjoy and benefit the most from the Good Books Program and the Great Books Program. These two courses have most enriched our lives and led to some of the best family discussions in the evenings. If you use nothing else from the Angelicum program, please look into their Good Books Literature Guides and the Great Books Study Guides. My 7th grade son is using their 3rd grade Good Books literature guide this fall and it is challenging even for his age!

Dr. Michael S.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 3, 2010
  • Grades Used: high school
  • Dates used: 2007-2010
I would highly recommend that all Catholic homeschoolers check out Angelicum before deciding on any of the other programs out there. There is nothing like it out there - nothing is so complete, so challenging, so well designed as Angelicum, in my humble opinion. The new connection with Fr. Fessio and his Liberal Studies Program leading to a bachelor's degree is very attractive for us due to the high cost of college. My wife and I have used Angelicum for our two teenage sons for the past three years. The online moderators (most are college professors) are excellent and make learning exciting and fun for the students.