Angelicum Academy

Malasmom

• Reviewed on Friday, April 22, 2016
  • Grades Used: Nursery
  • Dates used: 2016
I give this Curriculum 0-1 stars. THis is NOT devised by people who know anything about how children learn best, or who know appropriate materials for various ages/grade levels at ALL. Angelicum expects my Nursery level child to listen to 300 -400 pg books that have no colorful pictures! This is ridiculous. They also do not give you your money back on enrollment fees. I did not experience any threats (as other parents did) from Angelicum, but this is NOT a curriculum devised by people who know how children learn!

gina rae

• Reviewed on Monday, February 8, 2016
  • Grades Used: 9th and 11th
  • Dates used: 2015
As a seasoned homeschooler, I'm frankly embarrassed that I fell for the old "something different and expensive must be better than what I've used in the past" temptation.

Their customer service was great - before I bought the program. After that it took them weeks to respond either to my children or to me. The online chats that my kids attended were very poorly moderated. A kid or two took over much of the class time and the teacher didn't take control. Check the really fine print on their website (not easy to find - just try to search on "refund" or "return" and no search results come up) and you'll see that there is no way to recoup your wasted money.

If you should happen to infer that you will tell your homeschooling friends about your experience with them, they will threaten to sue you. Lovely.

In my humble opinion - save your money and RUN from this group.

tksattler

• Reviewed on Monday, February 8, 2016
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
I am very disappointed in this program, but they've threatened lawsuit if I tell the truth about how they treated me. Caveat Emptor, people.

Adella_McGuire

• Reviewed on Friday, March 14, 2014
  • Grades Used: K through 12th
  • Dates used: 2000-2014
2014. My four kids have attended the Angelicum Academy from k through 12th (two of them so far) and three have earned college credits doing the Angelicum Great Books Program (grades 9-12). They all loved the program and read far more very important books than I did in high school.

The whole focus of the Angelicum Academy is on completing the study of the Great Books of Western civilization in high school years before other interests and responsibilities (and costs) make it prohibitive - this idea came directly from Dr. Mortimer J, Adler who founded the Great Books movement and knew the founders of the Angelicum Academy. Because the Angelicum Great Books Program includes virtually the same texts as college Great Books programs do, many colleges accept those credits - up to 48, which is 1 1/2 years of college - no other homeschool program offers anything even remotely close to that.

If you are looking first for solid, top-notch academics in a distinctively Catholic program the Angelicum Academy is exactly it. If your first interest is just basic education, ease of study or other secondary considerations, then you might look elsewhere. The Great Books Academy is a secular spin-off from the Angelicum Academy designed for acceptance and use in public charter schools for independent study students for which some states (including CA) pay tuition - the readings are virtually identical.