Angelicum Academy

Patricia1

• Reviewed on Friday, October 7, 2016
  • Grades Used: 6th-12th
  • Dates used: 2008-2016
We have used the Angelicum Academy for four children over a number of years. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful - you can talk their ears off if you wish - they say they are there to help parents. They are not bureaucratic - the opposite. They allow parents to select and use any nonAngelicum materials they wish. Mixing grade levels in different subjects is permitted, even encouraged.

But the core of the Angelicum is literature: the Good books nursery-8th; the Great Books live, online program 9th-12th, which can also be taken for college credit accepted at hundreds of colleges and universities. The Great Books program meets once a week for two hours, with 2 teachers (not 1!), live, about 18 students, discussing the Great Books they read that week. I have learned a lot just listening in. But my children have read 120 Great Books in four years (if the reading is particularly difficult they assign only important portions). It is simply wonderful. This is what education was meant to be. Nothing I can find comes even close to this quality and dedication to serious education. I cannot write highly enough about it.

Maddy

• Reviewed on Monday, September 26, 2016
  • Grades Used: 11th,9th,6th
  • Dates used: 2015 to present
I'm happy with the quality of the materials and with the quality of the packaging [I am sensitive to the latter as I have received damaged goods from elsewhere that was due to poor packaging]. Prompt shipping. Re-ordered from them this year.

Angelicum was recommended by a friend and all has been good. Well satisfied.

Georgia

• Reviewed on Monday, August 15, 2016
  • Grades Used: 1st, 3rd,6th, 8th
  • Dates used: 2013 to present
I've learned a lot about education from the folks at Angelicum. One thing that was most interesting to me is the relation between reading/writing and speaking/listening. We learn to speak and listen before we learn to read and write. That may seem like a "duh" observation but it helped me to realize how important it is to speak, to converse, to read aloud to those kids in the early years of education. The more experience they get speaking with mom and dad the more they are exposed to proper modeling of language. Also, it seems that doing this [conversing] more with my younger ones helped them become good readers faster. Better speakers sooner, too. It's that grammar/logic/rhetoric thing that naturally happens to them in conversation. So, while I'm grateful for many things I've learned through my experience with Angelicum I especially appreciate the difference this one thing has made

Btw, I've never had any shipping issues with Angelicum.

Joyuex

• Reviewed on Wednesday, July 27, 2016
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th
  • Dates used: 2015 - present
One of the things I most appreciate about Angelicum is the stressfreeness [if that isn't a word it should be] of putting a curriculum together for individual students.  There is no set "5th grade curriculum" or "10th grade curriculum."  Though materials are broken into grade levels on the website those are just a guide.  I was told that the norm for a student is to be using courses from different grade levels.  So a 12 year old may be doing 7th grade math, 6th grade grammar, 8th grade science, etc.  I'm free to choose what fits each student best.  So, while it is simpler to just order, for example, "the 6th grade curriculum" it isn't easier for me to work with a student who isn't ready for a particular course in that curriculum. For me it pays off during the school year to choose courses individually at the beginning of the year.

Also, I have no stress from imposed schedules for tests or completion of courses.  We do what fits our homeschool best. Which includes taking a day off [or a week!] whenever it seems to be the thing to do.  The kids have done great with their work [advancing well] and part of that is because mom isn't feeling unnecessarily pressured.  I have enough normal mom pressures and none of us around here wants mom to have more than that :)