College Plus (website)

Mama2fourkids

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: 11th grade
  • Dates used: August 2012 to present
We heard about CollegePlus at the CHEA of CA homeschool Convention and picked up their materials. We reviewed their website and decided to start the program with my son, who was just beginning his junior year of high school. Just five months later, he has passed five CLEP tests (21 credits) and is about ready to take another test. I don't think we would have been able to navigate the process or have him study effectively just on his own. With enrollment, students get access to online test prep questions/information. We have been able to buy or borrow additional resources (CLEP practice tests, etc.) Our library has several of these as well. My son is hoping to complete his BA in Communications just after he graduates from high school (right around his 18th birthday). Several aspects of CollegePlus have been impressive to me:
One-on-one mentoring calls every two weeks. These aren't just "here's what's next on your list" administrative calls. The mentor they paired with my son genuinely cares about him, has helped him to go through some life planning exercises (also part of College Plus) and given him confidence that he can work through this program.
I love that this is self-paced. During my son's golf district tournaments and while he was prepping for the PSAT, he took a short break from his CLEP studies and picked them up again when he was done. We aren't tied into a traditional school schedule.
My son started with subjects he's is strong in-- literature and history, but also easily passed the Intro to Sociology test with just two weeks' self-study. That's far more efficient than sitting in an intro to sociology class for a semester to get the same three credits.
We are in early stages and can't speak as to how this will integrate into online college, but CollegePlus is planning a degree consulation soon to make sure we navigate our way correctly.

In order to make the most of this program, the student needs to be self-motivated. There is a large initial financial cost (nearly $3000 for the first year, but that included a free iPad, all online study access and mentor help/direction.) The second year cost for CollegePlus is considerably less. You must also take into consideration the costs of the CLEP tests (about $80 plus $15 admin fee where we go), but I still believe this is minimal compared to the cost of traditional brick and mortar college, and I hope my son can begin graduate studies when many are just beginning their college years.
I would highly recommend CollegePlus, but make sure your student is ready before beginning.

Orange Pekoe

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 16, 2012
  • Grades Used: College (not dual-enrollment)
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
I have been a College Plus student since June 2011, and will complete my bachelor's degree in late summer 2013. My experience has been entirely positive. Here are some of the advantages I most appreciate:
1) Flexibility: I've been able to work part-time, enjoy off-season family vacations, and pursue various interests while earning my degree. I have also combined courses from a few different schools in order to create a balanced program.
2) Efficiency: College Plus has helped me to save two years on my education--years that I can spend on graduate study, professional schooling, or sheer laziness (just kidding!).
3) Support and Resources: In addition to offering comprehensive lists of study materials and the encouragement of an academic coach, College Plus communicates directly with the partner college. For instance, when Thomas Edison State changed the way it allocates credit for a particular course I was taking, College Plus quickly gained special permission for my credits to transfer according to the old policy.
In some ways, College Plus resembles an extension of homeschooling. It's a good choice for disciplined students who are comfortable with nontraditional learning methods--and who like to save time and money!

joystars

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 6, 2012
  • Grades Used: hs/dual
  • Dates used: 2012 fall
oh boy my daughter spent intensive 2 months studying several courses: speed reading, memorization, comparative religions, reasoning, audio CDs, etc. and was exhausted and received no credit at all for college. Dropping out......

BforBil

• Reviewed on Saturday, March 6, 2010
  • Grades Used: High School-College
  • Dates used: 2007-2010
Hello, my name is Billy Greer. I am 18 years old and am just 12 hours away from graduating college with a BA in English. I will have my degree before most of my friends even start their Freshman year. As odd as this may sound it is nothing but the truth, and it is all because of College Plus.

I knew while in High School that I did not want to do college the "traditional" way. In my opinion it looked like just a waste of time and money when there were perfectly good alternatives. My parents and I then did some research into online college and we eventually discovered College Plus. I am ever so glad that we did.

Let's face it, college is not easy, no matter how you do it. Once I had joined College Plus I was given a coach who more or less made sense out of the chaos. He helped me set my schedule, find the books I needed, and was simply just there to listen when I was feeling overwhelmed. I have a new coach now, but he is just as helpful and attentive. A fact that speaks volumes to the competence of College Plus's staff.

Therefore, if you are thinking about obtaining your education via accelerated distance learning, I highly recommend College Plus. Their price is fair, they take the guesswork out of getting your online degree, and they will ultimately save you money and precious time.

College Plus helped me and I know they can help you too.