Christian Kids Explore Physics

churchkeys

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 25, 2012
  • Dates used: 2010
My son loved this series. He did well and found the tests attainable for him even though he does not test well. Simple - yes. Did he learn new things - yes. And he enjoyed it. His favorite thing was he could write in the same book as the text and there was a lot of white space in the margin.

maryjo

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 11, 2011
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 5th
  • Dates used: 2009-10
My 7 and 9 year old sons enjoyed this curriculum and we looked forward to our physics time each week. Science is generally my least favourite subject to teach, but Christian Kids Explore Physics made it easy and fun. The information is basic enough for 2nd grade and challenging enough for 5th grade, but for 7th grade or higher I would choose something more comprehensive.

The lessons were short and straightforward and the activities were simple and appropriate. Very few special materials were needed. Each lesson has a "Review It" page which suffices to ensure that the student has understood the lesson. There are six multiple-choice unit wrap-up tests (with answer key) which we always looked forward to because some of the possible answers were purposely funny and each test had us laughing and wondering what the next silly answer would be. The tests are very easy, but I was OK with this because of the introductory nature of the material and the age level.

What I liked best was that everything I needed truly was in this one book. I made photocopies of the review sheets and colouring pages, but I just gave the unit tests orally. I consider this good value for the money. My sons are now keen on physics and I have a better understanding too!

One hint however: After my success with Christian Kids Explore Physics, I had high hopes for Christian Kids Explore Biology. We tried it in 2010-11 and I have to agree with most of the other reviewers on this one. Boring and way too basic! Try something else for biology.