Considering God's Creation

albanyaloe

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
  • Grades Used: Preschool, K and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
I had heard really rave reviews about this curriculum and really wanted to use it, so I eventually got it. I was disappointed though. I had expected more "meat" to the curriculum. If you're wanting an overview, I think it is great, but I have a son who reads extensively, and already knew a lot of the stuff and wanted to go into much more detail, so I had to look up stuff and supplement. Eventually I was just using it as a spine. I found the workbook rather repetitive, similar type worksheets for many things. If you're into notebooking, then you'll probably like it. That said some of the activities like the flower were really good and original, at least to me. I think if you're not wanting an intensive program, and have not covered creation in detail, this will suit very well. It is user friendly. But if you have a very curious child who likes lots of details, you may not be happy, like me.

HSM2B

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 27, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-2nd
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
I think this curriculum is wonderful! It has a spiral appoach. My kids enjoyed it. It has great worksheet pages(cut,paste,color,investigate,etc.,those all go into there own notebook),great reading sections,great experiments,and enjoyable songs! I think this curriculum is a great introduction into science for younger students! And at a great price!

Steph

• Reviewed on Friday, April 11, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
I had started this last year w/ my dc grades 1 and 3 and it was a little too hard for my 1st grader to understand so I shelved it. Well we were wrapping up the other things we were doing for science this year and pulled it out again. We LOVE it! They are much better skilled to do the work at grades 2 and 4 now and understand what I read. We are skipping around it a bit, we finished the rock unit and today we will be painting some styrofoam planets to finish the space unit. Then we will start the weather. The weather unit would not have been as interesting in January when every day is cloudy, snow, etc. I like that flexibility. The information they retain is amazing. I recently asked ds -4th grade what the 3 kinds of rocks were to see if there was any retention from that and while his pronunciation was off, he was on the right track! And I love that the paper projects stay in the notebook for later reference, like the planets that dangle from the pages. Easy to go back and review even a couple of years from now. Best of all, it is fun! Instead of having a limiting textbook style, I read the information the teachers book gives, and I get just 1-2 books from the library to read aloud, usually for the color pictures and illustrations, which CGC does not have. The projects are not overwhelming. For the rocks unit we made "fossil sugar cookies" by pressing legos and other things into sugar cookie dough. How cool is that? Anyway, if you are looking for something for elementary science that isn't overwhelming, or boring,I highly recommend CGC Science.

What do I not like? I got weary of the "detective pages" until I realized I didn't HAVE to do them all. LOL! Also, I had to cut the binding off the student book and put in binders to make the student books easier to handle, but then use hole reinforcers on some pages, but those are minor issues and easily overcomeable.

mrswalker

• Reviewed on Thursday, March 27, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st and 2nd
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
Like another reviewer, I had no intention of using this curriculum in only 1 year! There is no way my then 1st grader (now 2nd grader) could have soaked up all that information in 1 year. Plus, there is no way we could have covered a chapter a 1 week. Two years ended up being the best for us. We do science 2 days a week.
Positives:
Price - can't beat the price.
Workbook - Each student makes their own notebook of everything they've studied. My child likes to look through all the pages and see what all he's done. Also, it helps with retaining the facts as he has to color, cut, glue, etc all the pieces.
Content - tons of information! The subjects of each unit are interesting and engaging.

Negatives:
Workbook - the activities start to get repetitive. My son started to ask me, "Didn't we do something like this last unit?"
Content - while very broad, it is NOT very deep. It definitely needs supplement from outside sources. I am relatively new to homeschooling (this is my 2nd year), so I didn't think to supplement other science materials with it until recently. I wrongly assumed because it was being sold as a "science curriculum" that I wouldn't need to search for outside sources to dig deeper into each unit. It doesn't go much beyond the simple definition of the vocabulary words. Maybe 2 paragraphs of information. I help my husband run a business and I've got 4 kids under the age of 7 so my time for lesson planning is limited to 1 or 2 hours a week - not enough time to look for supplements for each unit!
Tests/Review - While the curriculum is geared towards several grades at once, the tests/review crossword puzzles are not meant for young kids who can't spell the long, unusual words like Mitochondria, Peristalsis, etc. I did all the tests orally. Not a problem, but I wish there were tests/review geared towards younger kids. (granted, I could have made up my own)

We're switching to Apologia for next year. I've watched 2 or 3 families go through that material and I'm excited to start that next year. I like that we will study a subject in depth for a whole year instead of skimming several topics in 1 year.