Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum

mommasquilts

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 14, 2014
  • Grades Used: 7th,9th,10th,11th
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
I first saw Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum at a homeschool conference. On initial review it appeared to be way too basic, especially the science. However, after being overwhelmed by Apologia, my kids were enthusiastic about PAC and said, "this looks like something we can do!" We had been doing an ecclectic Charlotte Mason style curriculum and found it to be very Mom Intensive. My daughter would do everything assigned, but my son would get sidetracked and never finish anything or be able to remember anything. Reluctantly I agreed for them to use PAC for their freshman year. I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try as there was still time to change if it was not a good fit.

What I saw happen was nothing short of amazing! They loved it and found that the material was presented in an easy to understand way that they could find success with. They were rewarded with good grades and did not drag out their work all day. They found that they had time for other pursuits and were just generally happier. In the fall of 2013, they decided to kick up their speed a couple notches and finished their sophomore year by Christmas!! They were halfway through their junior year before we took a summer break. We also added science to my 7th graders classes and found that he preferred to do is before all other classes. He has dyslexia and used the audio enhanced version read the text to him while he followed along. We used an iPad to do this. It worked beautifully.

We are excited to start a new year and tell anyone who will listen about the quality, do-ability, and success we are enjoying with Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum.

2cool4school

• Reviewed on Friday, October 11, 2013
  • Grades Used: 9-12th
  • Dates used: 2009-2012
Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum is available in three formats - print, virtual (internet interactive), and audio-enhanced. Each course contains approximately 5 or 6 individual chapters of text and activities (6 Chapters = 1 credit). Each chapter consists of fifteen lessons, divided into three sections of five lessons. Every lessons is 4-5 pages in length. A Life Principle is included at the end of each lesson to strengthen the character of the student.

PAC is unique in the fact that it is a virtue-based curriculum used in home, private, charter, AND public schools. Based on the concept of individualized learning, students may complete studies as rapidly as desired or as slowly as needed with minimal teacher oversight.

The company also offers an impressive amount of discounts including homeschool support groups, single parents, military, law enforcement, ministry, ranching, and farming.

zippymom

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 27, 2012
  • Grades Used: 8th grade
  • Dates used: Aug 2012 to present
My DD is using PAC for science and English this year for 8th grade. It has been a good fit. The content is good and solid. If you are looking for rigorous then this will not fit your needs. I do supplement the science with videos from Discovery streaming and occasionally assign additional reading on various topics.
Pros:
The layout-simple, interesting reading with workbook style questions and answers

DD can work independently which she prefers

Good vocabulary coverage

Good basic coverage of topics

Can be easily beefed up if desired

Cons:
Price-a bit expensive for what you get

Can seem like "busy work" at times with the English curriculum- some lessons have the students write out multiple lists of verbs in their different tenses (ex. 75 questions on a 3 page lesson covering past, present, and past participle).

You must grade assignments daily unless you have your student score their own work

Overall we like this curriculum and will be using the Geography and English for 9th grade next year.

Keniki

• Reviewed on Friday, October 23, 2009
  • Grades Used: Basic Science Mysteries
  • Dates used: Preview only
I have wondered about this science curriculum, but the reviews I've read left me slightly confused. I decided to just order the first unit to look at for myself.

First, the layout, as I expected, is very, very similar to CLE or ACE. Do five lessons, take a quiz, repeat two more times and take a test. I would give appeal a 4-star rating (on a 5 star basis), the only thing missing is color. For extra motivation, if the student scores 85 or higher on all three quizes, they may be exempt from the chapter (unit) test. I think academically it appears to be pretty close to on target. I was a little surprised to see the quiz question: "The primary function of the teeth is to ____________". (This is a 7th grade question?) There does seem to be a good variety of types of questions (fill in the blank, multiple choice, name the 6 _____, true/false, etc.), but there are no essay questions.

The text is a separate workbook from the activities. The advantage to this is that you would only need a second set of activity workbooks for subsequent children. Even though they are called activity workbooks, there are no activities like experiments or projects, just your typical lightunit/pace type work. The TM contains the tests and quizzes, so you can't skip the TM. It also has the answer key.

My two biggest disappointments were a) the price and b) the story plot. This is only a five unit course. Each unit includes 15 lessons, 3 quizzes and 1 test. That's 95 lessons total for $89. Since I am a science-every-day person, I would need to do both Basic Science and Natural Science in the same year.

I do think for reaching "at-risk" teens (which was the author's original mission), this man's ideas are brilliant. There is no doubt in my mind that his "story line" would grab the attention (and hold it) of any teen using this. I had read in one review that the story line was a drive-by shooting, but it's not only the shooting but the whole crime and "you" are a part of it! You even get to help find the guy! "You" and your friends are leaving a convenience store when you witness the drive-by-shooting, grab the bag thrown from the get-away-vehicle (an illegal chemical to "hopefully" be used to develop a super-human race of people "to infiltrate and take control of the United States."), and lead police to the suspect. You not only identify the suspect, but he recognizes you, too, grabs one of your buddies and holds a knife to his throat. Don't worry, "Agent Gomez" points to the "buzzer", you push it, the suspect panics, and Agent Gomez saves the day. I wish I could see more of some of the samples of other units to see if the story-lines are as graphic.

For now, due to the story line, and the depth of the lesson on s** (too much for us), we will be looking for a different science program.