Studying God's Word

lisam5305

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd Book D
  • Dates used: 2008
I love this book. It may look plain and simple compared to the other flashy Bible workbooks out there. We tried those flashy workbooks and they were not much more than fluff. With this book my son is really learning about God's Word. The activities vary so that you aren't stuck in the same format day after day. You might be filling in blanks, doing a crossword puzzle, or cutting and pasting. It's really neat and it works.

mom2redheadgirls

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 8, 2007
  • Grades Used: 1st & 3rd
  • Dates used: 2007
I have just started to use this curriculum and I must say I am enjoying it.
The 3rd grade book is book D and it is about the life of Christ. It has 30 lessons that take my 8 yo about an 45mins- 1hour from start to finish. Each lesson starts of with a Bible reading out of your own Bible. The Bible text is not in the workbook and the workbook is really only compatible with a KJV. Then there is a devotional that helps relate the topic to the child. Then there are two activities to do. One is usually questions and answers on the Bible reading and the other is a crossword or a word search type of activity (something more 'fun'). I think it helps them know the verses pretty well because they have to go back to the Bible to find the answers. It can take my dd a bit to do this but she is getting faster as the lessons go on.
The 1st grade book is book B and it is centered around doctrines. I found it to be a bit choppy with no review from topic to topic or lesson to lesson. I did the review myself at the beginning of each lesson. For example, Lesson 1 it just a catechism of three questions on 'who is God'. The next is the first seven days of creation in Gen. They recommended reading all of Gen.1 which is way to long for my wiggly 6yo dd. So, I did the amount needed out of a paraphrased Bible. Lesson three is about John the Baptist in Luke. As you can see there is nothing linking them together as a unit. I guess I was hoping for a more flowing order of events or something. All in all it is good material, because after all it is the Bible. :) About half of the lessons do not have any writing or activities at all in them. I was also hoping for one writing activity in each lesson, b/c my dd can handle this in the 1st grade and loves workbooks-that's why I got this style. ;) That could be a plus for thers though.
I highly recommend the book D for the workbook lover! *It is not colorful though*
Book B could use some work in my opinion.

Betty in Vegas

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 29, 2005
  • Grades Used: Book E-F
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
I am really happy with the Studying God's Word Series. I am using it with my boys grade 4-9. I find it is not too easy for the 9th grader so that it bores him, and that the younger boys can handle it. I've never seen a comprehensive Bible study like this before, so when I saw it, I decided all the boys would take it.

I am amazed at the obscure stories in the Old Testament that my sons come up with everyday conversation. I have them do one lesson per week, the high schooler does it at his own pace, the younger boys do the reading on the first day (Bible) then read the text on day two, spend two days doing the questions, and then recite the memory verse on Friday (as done high school son.)

Any child who has never gone through the Bible from start to finish needs a course like this. I highly recommend it and will continue with the next books into the New Testament.

If you want to do the whole Bible, you need to start with at least book E, which begins with Genesis. They are sequential from there.

Jennifer

• Reviewed on Friday, September 10, 2004
  • Dates used: 2002-Present
We have been very happy with the Studying God's Word series. The lessons are enjoyable, the books are easy to use, and they are well written.
I plan on using the other levels in the future.