Alpha-Phonics

Mom2ECR

• Reviewed on Friday, May 31, 2013
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2013
I read "An Acorn in My Hand" by Ethel Bouldin and knew I wanted a phonics program which progressed similarly to her recommendations.
We received "100 Easy Lessons" from a family member and tried it, but it does not teach in the same systematic way as Bouldin recommends. I found it to be confusing because it taught the child an alternative alphabet and did not seem to teach in as logical of a progression.
Alpha Phonics, however, has been the PERFECT solution. It teaches hard consonants & short vowels first, then consonant blends, THEN long vowels & other vowel sounds. It fits really well with Explode the Code for a complete phonics curriculum that is inexpensive and simple to use. Also, I find that this approach corresponds well with BOB readers.
Another thing I love about Alpha-Phonics is that there is a short teacher guide for each section IN THE BACK - not all around the words the child is supposed to be reading. I absolutely despised all the clutter on the pages of "100 Easy Lessons." Alpha Phonics is not cluttered at all and is therefore not unnecessarily frustrating to and confusing for my child! I'm so glad I found this curriculum.

terriveganmom

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 14, 2012
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 1997-2012
This is what I used to teach my own to read at age 4 and to teach countless other kids to use over the past 20 years. I used the Explode the Code series with this for a full phonics based program that leaves kids reading. I have never had a reading failure with this, even with learning disabled kids.

The book has short lessons in black and white with no funsy wunsy silly stuff. There are no distractions. It is simple yet potent learning and kids will learn to read using this. Everything is in one large print book. You don't need bells and whistles (people have learned to read for centuries just this same way) and this costs around $25.

vickie

• Reviewed on Monday, October 25, 2010
  • Dates used: one year
I used this book for awhile and we loved it but I must say I find Phonics Pathways goes further in depth with about the same technique. I do wish or wonder if there were books after this that would still use the system but another addition for harder reading or a set of books that came along. I would recommend either.

ericandroshelle

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 20, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
Alpha Phonics is a very basic approach to reading, there are no frills about this program but it works.

We used Alphabet Island Phonics for K and 1st which is character and story line based and switched to Alpha Phonics this year because I wanted something that taught my child to read without relying on pictures and a storyline.

I know we've progressed rather quickly over the last 6 weeks because of already having the base of the previous curriculum but my daughter went from struggling with each sound to reading quite smoothly in a matter of weeks. Tomorrow we begin lesson 50 and she is actually able to help me read books to her sister now and she is able to read more words than I have to help her with at this point. I wish I had found Alpha Phonics first.

Positives:
~ No frills
~ Can't rely on pictures to help read the words
~ It progresses smoothly and in a way that makes sense

Negatives:
I haven't found any, but I was searching for a program that would teach reading without all the pictures...I was wanting the simplicity this program provides.