Christian Liberty Press Curricula

alliegirlny

• Reviewed on Monday, April 16, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st, 4th, 8th
  • Dates used: 2011/2012
Pros: Price, offers some Bob Jones and Abeaka. Liked the nature readers and Bible Stories. Liked the science, especially for the younger grades. History nice for 1st grade, good for 4th also.

Cons: Bible was taught more like a lesson with sterile facts than growing their relationship with the Lord. It does provide Bible knowledge, however, it was a struggle to enjoy especially for the older grades which is an important feature for me. There is stop and go with looking up verses, then back to the workbook, which stops the flow, but helps them navigate through the Bible. The older grade did request some great essays that makes the student to dig deep, but my dd found it extremely frustrating especially when she wasn't getting the answers right. Instead of her mediating and appreciating the Lord and what he has done, she would be focusing on getting answers correct like it was a regular subject. Of course we want her to comprehend and retain what she is learning, but not in the same manner as the brain remembers math facts, more in the manner of it being written on the heart. For our family I think we prefer a Bible curriculum that grows the heart as much, or more than it grows knowledge and that was lacking. They were learning more facts. If your desire is primarily for Bibilical knowledge, this may be a good curriculum. For us it was dry and I don't think they ever closed the book growing closer to the Lord, but maybe just increasing their knowledge of Biblical events. We've been home schooling for a few years and this was my least fav Bible curriculum. I also didn't like their LA for 4th grade. They would teach too many things at one time. For example my dd would have advjective, adverbs, conjuctions and interjections on one test instead of learning one really well and having a test on each. Each day she would learn something new. It was too much, too fast. We also didn't like the explanation of the 8th grade diagraming. Very confusing. That whole chapter was overwhelming for all of us, but it could be due to the fact we didn't use the curric/ the year prior as the diagr was taught in phases and we didn't
learn it in that style last year. We did like the paragragh on top of each LA/grammar lesson that nicely explained each day's lesson, but it just moved too quickly. For the price, definitely one of the least expensive packaged curr out there, if you are extremely budget consc/ this does still cover all the bases. I would definitely include a personal family devotion time, or teacher/student time on top of their Bible to help grew their tender hearts, but this didn't help them enjoy their Bible lesson, where as they enjoyed it a lot more with other curric. My first grader found phonics more difficult compared to my other girls when we used Alpha Omega, but it could also vary with different students. We didn't use their math, so I can't comment on that. We used Teaching Textbooks which we love. They also didn't include any creative writing for the 4th grader, but a lot of curric/'s don't. Best of Luck. May the Lord Bless your journey!

midvalleymom

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 15, 2012
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten Math
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
We are using CLP Liberty Math K for a young kindergartener and we just love it. It is simple, straightforward, has few distractions, and is very effective. It's starts with a review of numbers 0-9 and teaches the writing of the numbers. We skip the tracing portion of the numbers, because we not use a ball and stick method to writing. I just printed tracing sheets from a website and used them in conjunction with the number lessons. It then moves into addition, subtraction, money, and time... all in a logical order.

For a child who needs to focus on the work without spending a ton of time on math, this is a great program. I plan on using it for the next two years.

AtHomeForMyKids

• Reviewed on Friday, August 5, 2011
  • Grades Used: Christian liberty Preschool
  • Dates used: Currently
Personaly I don't like the lessons offered in the teachers manual, I feel it's too much for one day for a preschooler. I do love the Activity Book and the Drill book. It is repetitive which it's ok they get more practice! The activity book and the Drill book can easily last the whole school year. They are a great tool to assess children's development. I recomended it is really good.

Lindina

• Reviewed on Wednesday, November 24, 2010
  • Grades Used: various courses
  • Dates used: 2001--present
I can't really say that I like every single thing -- nor have I used every single thing -- CLP does. However, I think that one of the things they do best is to "borrow" from Bob Jones and/or Abeka and write their own tests and TMs for it. That allows parents to use these expensive "single-use" paperback texts, without having to go broke buying all the bells-and-whistles in additional materials that each company puts out. I do like that CLP makes a test for each chapter individually, where Abeka has tests that are cumulative at each quarter and semester and a final exam. The CLP approach hits the main points and avoids tedious memorization of details. I have run across older editions of some of their tests, and found that they used to be a bit more... involved... than they are now. Now they're about 25 (at the higher levels) objective questions and no discussion questions at all.

Some of the CLP-produced books are just fine for reading aloud or for independent reading, possibly book reports, that kind of thing. But there is no continuous reading comprehension instruction, skills instruction, literary analysis, etc., that (for example) Christian Light Education has.

I have used and do like CLP's own history and science - particularly the K, 1, and 2 history and 2 science. I will use these again. I found within the grade 2 science a wrong statement, which I simply used Wite-Out over to eliminate: that all rodents have naked tails. This is patently not true of squirrels, which are definitely rodents.

I have also used and liked the 5th grade history -- a collection of biographies -- although it's better as an American history supplement than as a core text. I have and may use the 4th grade American history in the next year, possibly in conjunction with the 5th grade book, to make a more complete course.

My students love the Nature Readers. We use these as supplementary reading (independent reading when there's time to fill). We have not used them as "reading class" readers.

I have the Pinocchio's Quest book - I have read it, and find it refreshingly different from the Disney version, but am saving it for a read-aloud at a later date. The youngers won't "get" the part about Waldensians and Huguenots and such without some extensive historical background.

I have used the 7th and 8th grade CLP grammar courses. It was a perfect fit for the student I used it with, but seemed to me to be a bit "lite". We used the 7th for one semester and 8th for the other.

I have absolutely loved the three "middle school literature" Enjoying/Studying/Appreciating Christian Literature books -- which are all unfortunately out of print now. I sincerely wish they would put these out again!

I have used and liked fairly well the CLP Bible courses. I wish there were more frequent reviews/tests, which would make documentation of progress easier. They seem to be stalled out at the Book of Acts, however; I was under the impression years ago that they would be finishing out the Bible for through-high-school use.

I have never attempted to use the MCP math, but I have used Saxon. My preference at the moment is Christian Light.

12345678910...