America the Beautiful (Notgrass)

Click for more information about America the Beautiful (Notgrass)

zippymom

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 12, 2012
  • Grades Used: 7th and 8th
  • Dates used: 2011-
My DD is using the Notgrass America the Beautiful for seventh and eighth grade history. She completed the first half this school year and will complete the second half during the 2012-2013 school year. This is such a great program! The texts are interesting to read with a variety of information, and pictures. I appreciate the various angles they use to approach each topic within a unit. For example, within each unit (which covers five days) the student will learn about major events that happened within that time period,they will have a lesson describing a creation that God placed in America that ties in with the unit topic, an important American landmark is studied, biographical information about an important person(s) is presented, and a view of daily life during that time period is also discussed. The student worktext, mapping book, and timeline are all worthwhile and study enhancing features. My daughter has been able to do this independently though I find myself reading over the chapters as I review her work because the reading is so interesting. My DD has enjoyed the literature suggestions and we have added in a few Progeny Press guides for further study. I plan to use this in the future with my DS and other 2 DD.

LynnH

• Reviewed on Monday, January 10, 2011
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
My dd is doing a modified version of the US History this year. She is doing the history portion as written. She isn't doing the bible per say because she already had a bible curriculum scheduled, but she does do the one lesson a week that is part of the bible study. For the literature I picked 7 of the books and stretched them out over a longer period and added oral and written narration and also progeny press guides to 4 of the books. She has enjoyed this curriculum. She likes the conversational tone of the reading. She started out answering the questions each day, but has found her retention is better if she outlines the chapters. Her only complaint is that she wishes they went deeper into some of the topics. I do add movies from Netflix to add some more depth. Overall I think it does cover what it should, but you might want to add some historical fiction or at least some movies/documentaries to it. My daughter likes history, but doesn't love it so for her it is a good fit. If you have a student who is a history buff they might become frustrated with the lack of depth of coverage.