History Odyssey from Pandia Press

jamipearl

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 29, 2010
  • Grades Used: level 1 with 1st and 3rd graders
  • Dates used: 2009-2010

Positives: my children loved the Story of the World that it recommends using, but the Child's History of the World was a bit over their level -- if you are using level 1 with older students in the mix they may like The Child's History of the World; The Usborn book is a MUST, we loved it because it correlates well with what we just read and gives a good visualization of topics; the mapwork was not my children's favorite, but I was really amazed at how, after a year, my children can pick out Crete, the Med. Sea, the Red Sea, Egypt, the Nile, Mesopatamia, and many more with ease; the Evan Moor History Pockets were GREAT (although a lot of printing is needed and I used up my ink rather quickly)

Negatives: I had to correct a few misprints; some days there were way way too many chapters that were supposed to be used in just one sitting; the activities were lacking for our family, who really benefit from hands on, easy crafts, to help fix a lesson in our brains; I would not recommend purchasing the activity books listed -- many activities were too time involved -- if you want them, use the library's copy; some lessons I thought were disorganized -- for example, it would have you read a chapter that would mention "do you remember 'such and such'" but this chapter had not been read yet, leading to some confusion; I didn't like the loose paper packaging -- for the $30 some dollars I payed for it, I expected it to come bound.

I might suggest skipping this curriculum and just using Story of the World and their activity book, along with the Usborn book for reference.

donnajdoak

• Reviewed on Monday, May 25, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Overall I think this program is very good...It gives you a good order to teach Ancient History...Along with this packet I used the Story of the World (liked), Children's History of the World (did not like), The Usbourne Internet Linked World History (liked), and the Evan Moore History Pockets (loved)...The additional reading reccomendations MUST be chosen carefully...Reading them all would take an entire year of ONLY reading those books!! My first grader and I enjoyed the Magic Treehouse books that corresponded to each lesson...Some of the other reading recomendations were waaay over her head, others were too easy...The program is designed to be used by first through fourth graders though...It's a structured program without being too much so. Definitely not a curriculum for someone needing a super-structured course. Also prob. not good for a perfectionist who thinks they must do EVERYTHING the program reccomends. We plan on using the Middle Ages program next year. Hope this helps...

AK_Mom4

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
We used History Odyessey Level One Ancients this year for DD7. This product somes as a package of loose paper assignments which I hole punched and put into a 3-ring binder. We also purchased a couple of the recommended books as I was not sure I could find them at the library. This product recommends SOTW and CHOW as spines, but I am not fond of them, so we used the third option - Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia.

History Odyessy lays out reading and projects for each lesson and recommends additional books. If we had read everything they recommended, we would be still reading - you really need to pick just a few! DD7 thought some of the reading suggestions were too babyish, but she really liked the Usborne book as well as the "Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors" and the other ancient books recommended for study.

They recommend using Evan Moor History pockets along with the reading and this worked really well for us.

3littlemonkeys

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 29, 2008
  • Dates used: 2006- present
History Odyssey is a great program for those looking for something to help schedule things out without being too scheduled. This program is written in a way that's very favorable to secular hsers which can be hard to come by. It could be easily adapted to a Christian program just by the book selection you make.

There are 3 levels (or will be more are in the works) for each of the 4 time periods in history used in classical education models.
The level 1 series uses Story of the World as it's spine, with CHOW as an optional resource. It also uses the Usborne Internet linked encyclopedia as it's reference spine. There are notebooking ideas, some books like History Pockets (by Evan Moor) for hands on crafts, definitions to be looked up, map work and additional reading suggestions. Each "Lesson" is meant to be done over the course of a week and there are 36 in all so it will cover your basic school year.

My kids have really enjoyed using this so far and we're anxious to start our 3rd year with it studying Early Modern times next fall.

Kel