R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press

starrynight

• Reviewed on Monday, January 25, 2010
  • Grades Used: k-1
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
We are using Earth and Space this year as our activity guide to go along with a basic Science Text Book I bought for my K and 1st graders.

I really like how the lessons are grouped into units (we like unit studies).

The activities have been fun, easy and to the point. (There is a nice supply list broken down by week at the beginning).

The lessons are well organized but are very easy to move around to fit your own schedule.

I really like their break down of the Big Idea and Small Stuff bullet points. Basically they tell you what your concepts your children should take away from a unit and what would be a bonus for them to learn. I'm sure that this would be a big help homeschoolers that need to check off state standards.

The included recommended book list is a great resource.
I do believe that you need to add in some of these books to make this a complete program. I don't think that the guide alone, although nicely worded and appropriate for the age, is enough. Charlotte Mason style homeschoolers should like this program with adding in the real books.

The scripted text makes it very easy for me to use. I just grab and go.

I am planning to use R.E.A.L. Science LIFE next year.

prplhrtwife

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 16, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
Our son is a very hands-on learner so this program was 100% perfect!!! We are currently using the "Life" book for 1st Grade Science.

Primarily lab based, children learn through guided exploring and fun, interactive experiments. There is SO much you can do with this program.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, shuffling the curriculum around is not a problem. We try to stay within the general area (there are 3, human body, animals, and plants) but often move things around to accommodate our schedule.

Overall for the age group we found the curriculum to be very comprehensive and at the same time, engaging and enjoyable.

donnajdoak

• Reviewed on Monday, May 25, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
My first grade daughter and I really enjoyed the Life Science Level 1 program. It was fun with LOTS of hands on experiments. We collected earthworms, rolly-pollys, raised caterpillars until they hatched into butterflies, even bought a fish for "observation" pruposes. My timid little girl became quite the explorer due to this program. The progam can be easily adapted for first through fourth grade use. Most of the supplemental materials can be found around your home or at local big-box stores. Loking forward to Earth Science next year.

nukeswife

• Reviewed on Monday, March 2, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st and 4th
  • Dates used: 2008-present
R.E.A.L. science odyssey has made science fun in our home. We've had a blast this year with the Life Level 1 program. I did have to do a little rearranging of units because we are in a cold weather climate so we couldn't do the butterfly unit and things of that nature in the winter which is when they would have fallen. That's is a bonus to this curriculum though, it's pretty easy to rearrange if need be. I also love the set up of it. An information page that the kids can read or you read to them followed by an activity or two. The activities have all been so much fun and any supplies needed are easily found at places like Walmart or the local grocery store.

My kids have retained well with the hands on approach and we look forward to trying the newly released Chemistry Level 1 next school year.

Edited to Add: I forgot to mention this in my original review but someone asked me about it so I thought I would add it. This curriculum is secular but there is no mention of evolution in it. There is no "Millions of years ago" type reading that many may find doesn't align with there religious beliefs, they do mention dinosaurs, but not when they lived other than stating that during the time they lived reptiles ruled the world (which I'm taking to mean they were very populous) For those that would like to teach evolution there is a list of references in the opening pages of the book that would be great choices to add to your studies if you wanted.

UPDATE: April 2010
We're now using Earth and Space after giving Chemistry a try and although we liked Chemistry my dd who's not reading on her own yet was having trouble. The Chem book lists it for grades 3-6 so we're going to put it on a shelf and try again next year. Since stopping Chem we've started Earth and Space and although I've started with the solar system units in order to allow the weather to get better before starting the weather units we're having a blast and really enjoy all the labs. I've been toying with the idea of mixing Earth and Space with Life level 1 together for a 2 year program when my youngest is old enough. That way we don't have to run the risk of getting burnt out on that area of science.

UPDATE Jan 2011
We finished our Solar System Units last year and after trying another curriculum from Sept-Dec 2010, we've come back to RSO. We're now working on Chemistry and the kids are once again loving science. Many others on other reviews or posts on the curriculum has said they don't feel the reading pages are deep enough for older kids, but I've found that's not a problem for us. My oldest (currently 6th grade) finds them enjoyable and I've found that they often pique his interest enough that he'll search out books on that topic when we're at the library for his own reading enjoyment.