The Classics Curriculum

lissa

• Reviewed on Monday, June 16, 2008
  • Grades Used: na
  • Dates used: na
For the pp, try: http://www.classicshome.com/prod_classics.htm

HTH

zenmamasan

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 14, 2008
  • Grades Used: unkown
  • Dates used: not applicable
I am unable to find this curriculum/book? Can someone provide the publisher and the author(s) please?

Thanks!

Rebecca Coppala

• Reviewed on Wednesday, March 26, 2003
  • Dates used: 1996-98, 2002-03
I have thoroughly enjoyed using this curriculum for all four of my children. After using a graduated workbook curriculum for a couple of years I desired something more hands on for my children. When I discovered The Classics Curriculum at our Christian bookstore I became very interested. We had so much fun reading together (the teacher reads a chapter a day from the selected classic, hence the name of the curriculum.) In our case we began with the first book which was The Witch of Blackbird Pond. With each chapter my children would say, Read one more, please! Then we would practice the spelling words which came straight out of the novel, write in our journals, learn about the history of the era, i.e. Puritans, Separatists, Quakers, do the logic and critical thinking activities, grammar exercises, and Bible study. My children also learned how to write and edit daily compositions (starter topics are included.) It also includes science topics and exercises, quizzes and more.

This curriculum is comprised of a teacher's manual and a student activity book from which pages are copied for each student's notebook. No textbooks or workbooks. It utilizes your local library for history and science study and it does include a daily recommended schedule which is adaptable to any home situation.

We have really enjoyed using this curriculum which leaves room for much creativity. The activities are geared for several age levels so it is an ideal curriculum for multiple children in a family. I have just finished using it for the second time around, this time on my youngest two children. They can't wait to start Johnny Tremain and the colonial revolution! Ben and Me follows with a study of B. Franklin and his inventions. I would highly recommend it.