Elementary Greek by Open Texture

CalmingTea

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 17, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2010-2011
  • Dates used: 4th and 5th
We started out with Hey Andrew! Teach me some Greek and my son really liked Greek. He had a small but growing stack of flashcards and clear consistent workbook pages.

However, a trained Greek professor informed us that this was not a good way to teach Greek (The inductive approach). At the same time another young pastor was willing to teach my son Greek and I was thrilled to pass the baton.

After using his own lessons for a while, we switched to Elementary Greek by Christine Gatchell. THe pastor was happy because everything is included in the book. The answer keys were clear and I was happy because all the daily work was laid out clearly for my son.

However, this program is very aggressive. My son was spending more than 40 minutes per day on Greek, and his stack of flashcards was about 8 inches high. It literally sat in two piles. Of course we had a system where he only studied about 20 per day, but it just started to be overwhelming. The coursework progressed very logically and made perfect sense, but it moved fast and the child has to really study and read a lot to keep up.

Now, we have moved and no longer have our wonderful pastor friend to bless us with lessons.I am not sure we will be able to continue with Elementary Greek. So my overall review is that this is an excellent and well laid out program and you should be able to use it without prior Greek knowledge but it's a lot of hard work and a huge commitment. This is really a true middle to high school Greek program, portioned out for daily work to help with teaching and studying.