The Phonics Road to spelling and Reading by the Schola Publications

MorningSong

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4-6 (levels 1-3)
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
I used The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading to remediate my two children who were in 4th and 5th grade at the time. Getting them reading at grade level and beyond was my first priority when I first started homeschooling; however, teaching reading didn’t carry over into their spelling or writing.

We’ve tried many spelling curricula over a few years. While my children did well with them at the time, none of them helped my children carry over spelling into their writing. That’s when I decided to start all over with phonics again using Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading. Because my children were older than most when starting PR, we were able to speed through level one in about eight weeks. We would complete a week’s worth of work in a day. This wasn’t too much because my children were older and used to the amount of writing required. We then completed the level two at a more relaxed pace.
We completed level three the following year at the scheduled pace using the literature components as well.

This curriculum has helped my children the most. Not only spelling, but their use of the dictionary, thesaurus, and cursive handwriting has all improved. I have had them work through cursive books every year and they still didn’t attempt to use cursive in their daily work. Now, they will no longer need to practice it because they gladly use it and can read it well which was an unexpected bonus.

Pros
If you are in my position and are remediating, not starting with a first grader, you can fast track your children using a discounted “quick start package” that they offer. (Everyone must start at level one.)
All inclusive-Spelling, grammar, writing, reading, vocabulary, intro to Latin
Teacher training DVDs are thorough and will give you the tools you need to pull all these subjects together.

Cons
Price-Yes, it is expensive. I was especially taken back by the cost of shipping.
Teacher intensive-This curriculum is teacher driven.

Final thoughts
Phonics Road was a blessing to us. It helped my children improve their spelling therefore worth every penny I spent on it. I regret that we will not continue with level four because my family is growing again and I will need to adjust my time accordingly. I hope to use The Latin Road in the future.

vsdunkin

• Reviewed on Sunday, September 11, 2011
  • Grades Used: Level 1
  • Dates used: 2011
To start off I have to agree with other posters that this curriculum is very teacher intensive.

Even with that though I have still found the curriculum to be very worth it.

The thing I love the most is that my children are not learning to read by memorizing sight words, and that the DVDs included give me the confidence to teach my children to read.

Everything I need is included and because of all the subjects it incompasses, I feel that the price is worth it. (Although this is the most expensive thing I purchase for our homeschool).

animama

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 17, 2010
  • Grades Used: Levels 1, 2 and 3
  • Dates used: 2007-present
I tell everyone I know about this program, and wish I had enough money to hire a sky-writer to tell the world, but alas, I'll have to settle for Homeschool Reviews.

I discovered The Phonics Road after a failed attempt at using Rod and Staff, combined with the philosophy that if my son was a strong reader, he would acquire excellent grammar and writing skills through osmosis. Seeing my second grader with a sixth grade reading level but terrible spelling skills, I knew we needed to make a drastic change.

I was looking for a program that was all-inclusive, teaching grammar, punctuation, handwriting, composition, literature, phonics and spelling. That's a lot to ask of a program, so the research ensued.

I read reviews on "boxed" programs til I was crosseyed. I was not seeing the positive feedback I had hoped. Furthermore, a series of loosely connected workbooks just did not fit in with my teaching style, nor did I feel it would fulfill my goal for my four children: to not merely be able to pass Language Arts "tests", but to be able to explain the 'why' behind the rules and functions.

Finally, I stumbled upon an ad for The Phonics Road. Upon visiting the website, I felt a eureka moment. I ordered the sample DVD, and was sold. This program had everything I desired, and more.

My oldest son did not start Level 1 until third grade, which is a late start for this program, but actually worked well for us. We swiftly moved through that Level, but laid a strong foundation. Every year since he has worked through a level, and I am thrilled with his progress. We are now nearing the completion of Level 3, and my son is not only learning English from the origins (Latin, Old French, Old English), but he has grown adept at determining the meaning of words by looking at the root and suffixes/prefixes.

This is NOT busy work. There is a method, there is a purpose (I hate wasting time, and there's little of that here), and I am seeing results. My son's spelling is above grade level, and as we finish up the final year, and then advane into The Latin Road to English Grammar, I expect that trend to continue, and for him to do very well on SATs.

Cons: This program is rather teacher-intensive. I have decided that for our homeschooling goals, this will be the one subject in which I will be most heavily involved. If I can teach my children Language Arts strongly, then all the other subjects can be completed in a more independent manner. One way that I am easing the burden on myself is taking copious notes each Sunday when I view the DVD. This will allow me the freedom of not having to rewatch the DVD with each subsequent child (I have 4), and only having to look at the DVD again if something is unclear. With four students, I can see how this would become an overwhelming task.

Another thing that some might view as a negative is the price. We are not a rich family by any stretch, but I believe this program is an investment that will yield returns far beyond what we've spent (scholarships, exemptions from college courses, etc.) The level of excellence is such that I compare it to attending a prestigious private school, which in our neighborhood costs around $10,000 a year. The teacher's edition for each level needs to be purchased once, and then only student packs added each. I would think that purchasing Phonics Road would certainly be cheaper than purchasing four different programs.

There is so much more I could say. Although some think Mrs. Beers methods (spelling lists) seem disjointed, there is a purpose, and as the levels progress, this becomes more clear. I have a bachelors degree in English Language and Literature, and I am astounded by the things I am learning about English. I am far straonger in grammar from studying this alongside my son than I was with my college studies! You will not regret investing your time and money in this program.

Emma's Mom

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 19, 2009
  • Grades Used: Level 1
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
I began using The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading this year. My son had a very hard time in first grade with spelling, but read very well (probably a second grade level in first grade). So, I wanted to find a program that would enhance his learning and spelling ability. This program has been a perfect fit for him. His spelling skills have improved drastically. I wish Barbara had been my grammar teacher. I feel like I'm learning along side him. There are many things in the program that were never explained to me as a student. Last year he made a D in spelling. This year he has an A. I'm thrilled with this program and will follow it as long as he continues do well. His reading skills have exploded this year as well. He's probably reading at a fourth grade level at least. I'm hoping he will begin to enjoy writing as a result. We'll see... This is our next hurdle.