Success in Spelling by the Weaver Curriculum/Alpha Omega

gracereceiver97

• Reviewed on Sunday, January 27, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
This program is okay. The words are very advanced for fifth grade, in my opinion. I had been using Horizons Spelling--which I loved--followed by Alpha Omega's Lifepac/SOS spelling prorams that were incorporated in their Language Arts programs. Alpha Omega's word are more age-appropriate, but my child didn't do well on the Spelling portion of their standardized tests, so I thought a change in curriculum was necessary.
We do not follow the instructions in the Weaver Spelling book. We only use the word lists, and I make up my own worksheets for practising the words.
Unless my child's tests scores improve dramatically at the end of this year, thanks to this program, I do not think we will use Weaver Spelling again next year.

Raysn

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 30, 2010
  • Grades Used: First level
  • Dates used: 1999
Sure, I only used this the way it was intended for 6 months and with a method something like Spelling power for 3 months. Yes, it was also a long time ago, but I thought I would post. Do yourself a favor and don't use this program. It really doesn't follow spelling rules. It uses a boring pattern of reviewing even the words the child knows. My oldest son was in tears. I watched how my friend used Spelling Power and I started using the Sucess in Spelling lists that way. That removed some stress and my son finished the year with SIS. I noted how well the Spelling Power method worked even with the not-so-organised lists in SIS. I switched to Spelling Power and have been fairly happy ever since. I love the author of SIS and I think Weaver is a terrific unit study, but her spelling program was sadly substandard.