Steck-Vaughn Spelling Linking Words to Meaning

Ashley

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 27, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2010
I don't usually go for the colorful workbooks, but this one has some real substance. My 3rd grader is a good speller and this is helping him learn the rules behind what he knows intuitively, so he can apply it consistently. He doesn't like to write, so I do some of that for him (as he spells the words aloud). I especially like that the lessons incorporate other language skills like alphabetizing, completing analogies, parts of speech, using a dictionary, basic punctuation and capitalization, prefixes/suffixes, synonyms/antonyms, etc.. It really has a fresh feel to it. I would highly recommend it.

lisam5305

• Reviewed on Monday, August 18, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
This is a solid spelling workbook. You can get the student book and teacher's edition from Rainbow Resource for about $60 or so. The pages are colorful and the exercises are engaging. Lots of good practice work to help the student retain the words. I like how they group the words by sound. For instance, one week might be the short u sound. Not only do they include obvious short u words like shrug, but also the less obvious short u words like done, enough, etc. I love that. It shows that in our complicated language there so many ways to make the same sound, but only one right way to write it. We have tried Spellwell and BJU Spelling in the past, and I ordered Spelling Power to look it over but it didn't take long to return it. This is the book for us.