Queen Homeschool Supplies

BookMama

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 18, 2017
  • Grades Used: Various
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
We purchased the "Picture Study: Early America" pack. It was terrible. It seemed like a poorly done attempt to rival Emily Kiser's Picture Study Portfolios from SCM. The biography was not nearly as thorough or living, and the quality of the prints was really quite bad. A couple of them were *way* too enlarged, so that you could in fact count the pixels on the paper...which completely ruined the point of studying beautiful art. Waste of money. (This year, we ended up getting Kiser's Portfolios, and they are truly beautiful, with a well-written bio and excellent prints - and only $2 more!)

Trishy

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2012
So, I had to try something a little different this year and this was one of the things that got the nod.

I planned on using copywork just as an extra throw in every few days for help with penmanship, since ds 8 doesn't need help with letter formation and isn't ready for cursive.

I love the cover. Very pretty. They should put more art like this scattered throughout the workbook. It would add interest and engage the child.

I love the short and useful quotes, poetry, and Bible verses. I think it is very age appropriate.

The quality of the actual physical materials is very lacking for the price of the book. Really, this book shouldn't cost more than $5 and it is double that price. The lack of art (there is none past the cover), the lack of writing space (no way a first or second grader can form their letters properly in this cramped space), and cheap binding (plastic spiral) are obvious as soon as you open the book. I have NO idea why they chose the font that they use where the "I's" have no "hat" and "feet" and the "a's" look like the one on this font instead of the circle with the stem. That may be a picky point, but most of us teach handwriting with a traditional font approach.

Those negative facts completely outweigh the positive ones and I can't recommend this to those who want to use copywork for their children - especially for penmanship purposes.

If they would fix the font, add more lines per lesson, and scatter art through the program, and lower the price I would recommend it to EVERY new homeschooler.

mom2fiveboysnc

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 22, 2010
  • Dates used: 2010-?
I have purchased several items from Queen's. The ones we really like so far are the Language Lessons, (Young Ones and Elementary Child) so far. My boys have used R&S and various other resources but really like these books. Most days we do 2-3 lessons (not really CM-approved) but they enjoy doing a little more. My boys were burned out on grammar every day so I thought they would enjoy doing these workbooks for awhile. In the fall I may alternate days with R&S and LL. They have enjoyed the poetry so far and I can tell a big difference in my youngest's handwriting with the copywork. I also purchased some of the copywork books, the one I am most disappointed with is the Math Facts. It is basically math problems. I also purchased nature lovers which my boys enjoy. I have ordered the pictures in cursive so I will post on that later. So far I am a happy customer and my kids aren't complaining about language arts!

stack2025

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 5, 2010
  • Dates used: 2006-2010
We have tried many things from this publisher, including their Language Lessons, early reading series, Copy work, Bible studies, history guides and books, nature guides and books, cursive, spelling, geography, and growing up books.

I would recommend the copy work books, spelling, and Language Lessons particularly for boys, especially very young boys, that have a tough time with their writing and language skills. My son, having ADD was helped a great deal by these. The art in the Language Lessons books and cursive books was very nice, and both my daughter and son, who are very artistic appreciated them. And my daughter really loves the Bible studies for girls and the growing up books.

The publisher doesn't peghole grade levels but offers suggestions for what is best suited to your child's learning needs and skill level. Also some of the items, such as their history through literature guides, can be used for more than one grade level so your children can be taught together at the same time which is a time and energy saver. Not much prep is needed before hand which is a plus for me.

All in all, I would say I like this homeschool supply house, use it often, and I would definitely use it again for one thing or another. If you check out their website it has samples of some of their books so you can see what you prefer.