McRuffy Math

taratankersley

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 3, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
Do not waste your time with this curriculum. It skips from one thing to the next without so much as any explanation. Yes it is a pretty workbook but you child will be frustrated and you will be thumbing through the teachers manual grasping for answers.

avidal

• Reviewed on Tuesday, April 9, 2013
  • Grades Used: k- 1
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I started my two dc with Mcruffy math when my ds was preschool age. He could not even count to ten and hated math when we started. After purchasing Mcruffy this all changed. He loves math and is thriving. He is a year ahead and is adding and subtracting in his head half way through grade 1. It makes math easy and fun. Lessons are short and they love that it is hands on. We go at our own pace doing two lessons somedays and one the other. It skips around alot. This doesn' t bother me because I learned this program works well that way. There is not pressure to master new concepts. You just work on it a little at a time and by the end of the year they have mastered what they need to with little pressure. I recomend it and will be using it for grade 2. It mets and surpasses my states standards though it probably isn' t as advanced as some hs curriculums.

mom2four

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 28, 2012
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My daughter and I absolutely love McRuffy math! At first I wasn't going to order K curriculum. Everyone told me not to waste money on K. A few months into the year though, I decided I needed a curriculum with guidelines, so each day will be layed out for me. There are tons of curriculums out there and I am so glad I found/went with McRuffy. The online samples were so good, I was sold right away.
The teachers manual was very well laid out and very easy to understand. Each lesson has objectives, materials list, and a teaching section that will even tell you exactly what to say if you're not sure.
The student workbook is fantastic as well. It is a spiral approach and that worked very well for my daughter. I loved the fact that it didn't spend to much time on one topic and the topic was brought up again down the road so you know for sure that your child is retaining what they learn. If you're child isn't grasping a certain concept you can always slow down. My daughter is very good at math (at least I think so). The only time we hit a bump in the road was when she couldn't understand "less than and greater than". That was quickly solved by me saying "would you rather have 9 m & M's or six?" She said nine. Then I said right, because nine is greater. We haven't had a problem since, lol.
The manipulatives are awesome. We didn't use that many of the games because I have two other little ones that took up time, but definately would have.
I can't wait to use this with my son who will be in K next year!

2plustwins

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 24, 2012
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My twin boys started this curriculum right after they turned 5. This has been a great hands on math curriculum. There has been plenty of review and new concepts seem to build at a good pace. The games are great and should not be skipped. The race car game was so much fun the boys that they would ask to play it after we were done with school for the day. They learned to count to twenty quickly and accurately with that game. The counters were helpful and were used with word problems and not just adding/subtraction. There was a picture of a ship in one lesson and we would make up story problems with the bear counters. The kids loved it! Also the tangrams and pattern shapes were fun for the kids to make different animals, rocket ships, etc. The geoboards were challenging for the boys. We really liked the variety of activities and look forward to first grade.