Chalk Dust Math Video

chfriedman

• Reviewed on Wednesday, December 11, 2013
  • Grades Used: Pre-Alg, Algebra
  • Dates used: 2011-13
This is a very traditional math curriculum, which is to say Mr. Mosely is a MATH TEACHER! It isn't overly cute. He is very careful to teach about how to lay out problems, how to show your work clearly, and how to think clearly about what you are doing.

If your student does all the practice problems recommended it will be A LOT OF WORK! Some reviews say this curriculum is good for parents who hate math, but I disagree. The parent needs to be there as a support, checking the work and ready to work the problems and show their child what went wrong.

My son started his homeschooling journey in 5th grade very behind. He has been working very hard for years, and finally after using ChalkDust math and, again, working very hard, he is competent in mathematics and breezing his way through Algebra 1. I love this curriculum.

GA Peach

• Reviewed on Friday, October 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: 8th, Algebra 1
  • Dates used: 2012
We were so excited to begin this program.

Regarding the customer service...
We met Dana Mosely at a convention and just fell in love with him. He certainly has a pleasant disposition, converses well, is attentive and almost charming. :) His brother Richard, however, lacks that same instant pleasantness. At least the first time I spoke to Richard on the phone he was a tad curt. Later, after emailing back and forth several times he warmed up and we enjoyed a very pleasant email exchange.

Now... on to a review of the program...

We really, really wanted to like this program.
We really, really wanted it to work.
I'm torn on my feelings of this program.

Thanks in advance for reading...I hope this will help others...

The video presentations are about 45 minutes long. They are very clear and very well done.
However...for my 13 year old son, they were just too long.

Mr. Mosely suggested that we pause the video when the screen fades out (when they move on to another topic) and then complete worktext to that point in the book. This sounds reasonable, but it actually made more work for me to figure out where my son should begin his work for the day and then when to stop.

Perhaps if the curriculum came with a "pause here and work these certain math exercises before moving on", then I might try this program again.

As it is, we are sad to say that it was simply too overwhelming for my young son.

This particular math program is beneficial for the DVD explanations. The explanations can't be beat in the homsechool market. Really and truly. We plan to keep the DVDs for extra review if we need them.

I didn't care for the text book so much, either. It is a public school-style book. Many homeschooling families prefer books tailored to homeschoolers.
This book is very comprehensive and I appreciated the constant review...but...as I said before, it was just too much for my son.

To sum up:
Mr. Mosely found a high-quality math text and taught math lessons from it. He put those lessons onto DVDs and did a fabulous job.
The instruction is amazing and leaves no question as to what was just taught.

However, the video presentations are too long and the program lacks built-in adjustments for that concern.

I think that he would hit a homerun with a lot of homeschooling families if he would offer his OWN CONSUMABLE math book...with shorter lessons...maybe covering fewer topics per lesson?

clearvu2

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 17, 2011
  • Dates used: 2011
This is a very comprehensive program. The quality of the math is wonderful. However, using it at this grade level there is no TRUE lesson. My DD scores exceptionally in the high end of math, I actually got her a grade level below, and struggled. They do not put forth a good teaching at this grade level. Thankfully I am also very good in math. I had to look at the problems, see the answer then write up a lesson plan...... way to much work to do.
The most disturbing thing was that when I called to speak with someone to obtain some kind of teaching material. I was spoken to very harshly by Richard the owner. NO REFUNDs if you do not like it.

While the CD is colorful and eye catching, I would not recommend this program at all!

beverly

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 6, 2010
  • Grades Used: 7 & 8 - future use
  • Dates used: 2008 - future use
Chalk Dust has brought us up to grade level and now son is understanding how to DO math. We had to begin with Basic Math, even though this is 6th grade level and he was in 7th grade. (Math U see had left huge gaps and a lack of understanding for us.) We did the Basic Math and did math every day, even into the summer to get him caught up. His math scores improved INCREDIBLY! Now we are in pre-algebra (now at grade level) and doing just as wonderful. My son understands math now! The dvd's are great and they are so helpful if you need any advice, they are there like having your own tutor. It is wonderful! You get what you pay for!