Life of Fred Math Series

AmandaM

• Reviewed on Sunday, August 17, 2014
  • Grades Used: First 2 books
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
My children absolutely love Fred. Aside from All About Spelling, it is their favorite "subject." We laugh while we read it together. The only slightly negative thing I would say about it is that in my experience, it is definitely not the only thing you need to teach math. It does use every day situations , and it always has other facts and things to learn that have nothing to do with math, but it falls short as far as math facts and things that in my opinion , they really need.If I recall correctly, they address this on their site and give you another option for math facts and such. But it helps me in a big way because it helps me see where their learning gaps are. When we can't answer a question in Fred, it alerts me to kind of camp out on that til they get it. Example: If yesterday was Friday, what is the day after tomorrow? That question for some reason threw my kids for a loop, so I knew then that it wouldn't hurt to spend some time on a little deeper review of the days of the week, other than the names and order. But after a couple of days of randomly discussing it for a minute or two, they clicked, and we were back to Fred :). Its worth it! Just don't rely on it solely.

HomeschoolMommy

• Reviewed on Monday, June 23, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1-5th
  • Dates used: 2011-2014
my son is starting 5th grade next year. We started with Saxon for a year or so, but then switched because Saxon wasn't for us! We then moved on to Right Start Math, and although we liked it better than Saxon, it still didn't feel right for my son. I decided to try something really different and that is how we ended up using Life of Fred. We started at the beginning with Apple, and have completed Jellybeans a couple of months ago, in the Spring. My son loves math again, and can't wait to do it, so that makes me so happy.

It's a literary style of math, and I think it's great because it is an organic way of looking at and presenting math, a way of seeing it in every day life. It works for my son and for me, so we will always be using Life of Fred, even if we choose to supplement with something else. There are questions at the end of each chapter and "Rows of Practice" sometimes, but I always add extra of my own, like maybe between 4-8 extra questions.

I have actually contacted the writer to ask about the answer to a question because I didn't understand. He emailed me back and was very helpful and had a sense of humour. I read that another reviewer contacted him on the phone and said he was rude and condescending, but I have to wonder if there was a misunderstanding or he was just having a really bad day or something because it was not my experience at all.

This summer I decided to mix it up a bit and maybe fill in any weak spots (I'm always looking to cover our bases!) I decided to look into Beast Academy (and started at their beginning books, most of which is below my son's level, but not all of it.) So last year my son finished 4th grade, but this summer he's doing all of Beast Academy's 3rd grade math because Beast Academy is advanced math. After one finishes 5th grade beast Academy curriculum, you move onto Art of Problem Solving. From what I understand, these are very high level math programs, used by people who get into math competitions or something. I like this program, too, and it's taught in a cartoon type way, then you do the practice problems, and my son is doing it, but he keeps saying he can't wait to get into the next Life of Fred Book! My son can't wait!

So for me, that is the most important thing. He' likes the characters in LOF, the way it's written, the global point of view, the way math is interwoven into the everyday life of Fred. Math is not just isolated in boring script, or endless practice with no context. Some children will get through math and dread it, and develope a lifelong fear of math (like me) and for people who need more that boring and predictable, LOF is for them. The writer is a real person, not a corporation. There are a few typos and he welcomes questions or corrections. No one is perfect. I'm happy that we're doing something different this summer, especially this interesting and challenging series, but we will also be continuing with LOF to keep it alive for my son, but may also go back to trying other things when I want to take a break from LOF or see how my son does with other programs, out of curiosity, or see how he stacks up with other programs.

We may choose to change curriculum in the future, but the plan is to continue, and I am pretty sure we'll be sticking to it, as long as it's fun and interest-provoking.

Charlotte Webb

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 2, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4th through 8th
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
My family used Life of Fred math curriculum for about four years. My oldest daughter started with Fractions and worked all the way through Pre-Algebra with Economics independently. I began the elementary series with two of my children as a review and worked through it with them, it took a little over a year. Then they began Fractions.

Does LOF teach children to think mathematically as it claims? Will they “understand how math works,” and “why math works” as stated in their marketing? The elementary books begin by teaching the sums of seven. The next book teaches the sums of nine. The texts continue teaching the sums of the odd numbers through seventeen. Over halfway through book five of the series, Edgewood, the sums of ten are taught. Considering that we use a base ten system I find it strange that the sums of ten are not given emphasis as in other curriculums. The number ten is foundational. Children need to have a solid grasp of the addends of ten in order to successfully manipulate numbers when adding and subtracting with more than one digit. Yet, in LOF regarding the sums of tens this is written, “Write all the pairs that add to ten (Edgewood, pg.77).” That’s it. This does not develop a child’s number sense. Children need to know how to play with numbers, how to break them apart and combine them in different combinations. Other curriculums help children develop number sense through teaching different ideas or strategies that they can use when adding and subtracting, such as “adding one more than a sum of ten” or “adding one more than a double.” These strategies are not just to help a child memorize their facts, but they serve to teach a child number sense, or how to think mathematically.

How does LOF teach children the addition facts? Mainly through memorization. I could quote numerous passages throughout the books but this one I think sums up Dr. Schmidt’s pedagogical approach the best, “Here are the add-to 13 numbers. Study them. Say them aloud. (I had to correct a typo, the text actually says, ‘Stay them aloud.’) Learn them now (emphasis not mine, it is actually double underlined in the book)…Please don’t turn the page until you have them memorized. Please (Cats, pg.88).” The multiplication facts are taught in a similar manner. Rather than children being shown the patterns in multiplication or how the facts relate to one another the main emphasis is on memorization.

Dr. Schmidt airs quite openly his thoughts about what he calls “drill and kill” methods of teaching mathematics. He even cautions parents to not “integrate traditional rote/memorization methods” with the LOF curriculum. So I was very surprised when we got to book eight in the series, Honey, where the multiplication tables are learned. In the previous books some time is spent explaining the two times table as doubles and a few mental pictures are given to aid in remembering the facts. Then some time is spent on the three times table. When the four times table is introduced, Fred, the main character of the books, is having a difficult time finding mental pictures to help his students remember the facts. So Fred comes up with the idea of having his students divide a piece of white paper and cut it into cards with each fact written on one card. He calls them Honey cards. I know them as Flash Cards. The four times table is not related to the two times table. The idea of multiplying a number by four as doubling and doubling a number is not given. Rather this is written, “The multiplication table is going to be yours today—from 2x2 up to 9x9. Your choice: Either…A) Get your mother/father/butler/maid/older brother/uncle/aunt to drive you to the store and buy the commercially made flash cards, or B) Get out some paper and scissors (or some index cards) and make your own Fred’s Honey Cards (Honey, pg. 83).” I will with some degree of embarrassment admit that I had my children follow Dr. Schmidt’s instructions and make Honey cards. They were promptly thrown in the trash as perhaps someone with more foresight than I could figure out that the children are able to see the answers through the paper cards, making them mostly useless, unless they held some value as a copywork exercise. I am even more embarrassed to admit, that I did not question the LOF curriculum at that point but continued believing in its unsubstantiated marketing claims. I went ahead and bought my children flash cards. The remaining chapters of Honey as well as some chapters in following books tell the children to practice their flash cards before beginning the chapter. The instructions are, “Take each card and say (or guess) the answer and see if you got it right (Honey, pg. 115).” Guessing the answer to a math fact, and more specifically teaching the children to do so, is not teaching children to think mathematically. Mathematical thinking relates the unknown fact to a known fact and then mathematically figures out the correct answer.

farrahleigh02

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 29, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
Short review: I do NOT recommend!

Long Review: This particular subject (Geometry) in the Life of Fred series has very poor execution of the lesson and does not coincide with the end of lesson questions. For example: The first lesson speaks of Fred's farm animal eating grass in two parallel lines and explains the difference between a line segment and a parallel line. Then the "Your Turn to Play" questions ask, "What is a number that could not be a length of a line segment". The lesson did not state what numbers could / count not be a line segment; therefore, the student does not know how to answer. The next question asks about the differences between 3 points on a line segment. The lesson did not mention any information concerning the distances between points or how the points could be combined from two different line segments; yet again, causing the student to not know how to answer the question. I called "JOY Learning Center" to file a return to receive a refund once I realized this curriculum is NOT a sound Geometry curriculum and spoke with Andrea. I was told the company does not give any types of returns or refunds. It was NEVER stated on the purchase order that all sales are final / no returns accepted. I am now stuck with a book and answer key that I would not recommend and can not receive a refund. I supposed it will make for a great bonfire starter when we celebrate finding an appropriate executed Geometry curriculum.