Grammar and Punctuation books by Evan-Moor

Laura0630

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 10, 2008
  • Grades Used: 4th-6th
  • Dates used: 2006-2008
I started using Grammar and Punctuation by Evan Moor two years ago. We had tried many grammar programs, all of which he hated. His Iowa scores in spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage were awful. I "accidentally" found Evan Moor and started using Grammar and Punctuation and Daily Language Review. Since I felt my son was "behind" in this area, we started with the 3rd grade book even though he was in 4th grade. We are now using the 5th grade book in the 6th grade and plan to continue until we finish the series. His scores on his last Iowa test improved dramatically in usage and significantly in punctuation and capitalization. Spelling is another story but this series does not focus on spelling. I am trying the Evan Moor spelling series this year so maybe we'll have similar results in that area. I highly recommend Grammar and Punctuation especially if you also use Daily Language Review by Evan Moor also.

Wee Pip

• Reviewed on Friday, July 11, 2008
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
Evan-Moor Grammar & Punctuation is designed to be a classroom supplement; however, it does a nice job of simplifying grammar, for those that want a nice, simple overview. The grammar is broken into 25 "rules". Each rule has a rule sheet (can be used like a poster), with 3 activity pages. Activities include writing, cutting/pasting, circling, etc. There is one comprehensive test at the end of the book. Each book comes with a CD, which contains a copy of the entire book and a simple animated presentation of each rule. When we used this book, we worked on 1 rule per week, and completed the 3 activity pages throughout the week. It was a very easy way to teach basic grammar and we completed our book in 25 weeks. It probably isn't considered a "complete" program, but for those that want a relaxed way to do grammar, or just want to teach some basic rules, Evan-Moor Grammar & Punctuation is a good book. You can see sample pages on Evan-Moor's web site or on Google Books.