Frode Jensen's Grammar/Vocabulary/Format Writing Curriculum Books

babiroo

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 4, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I can't believe the improvement I saw in my son's writing! He can easily write an essay!!!! He didn't enjoy it - it's very heavy and could be done over two years (wish I'd done that)

Two thumbs up

Eliza

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 8, 2009
  • Grades Used: n/a
  • Dates used: n/a
I cannot say enough good things about this program. It teaches writing methodically, from sentences to 1000 word papers. The explanations and examples make sense and are easy to follow. There is some grading involved, of course, but that can be a catalyst for some very fruitful discussions between student and parent or teacher.

Overall, Frode Jensen did a fabulous job with this book.

lgraves

• Reviewed on Friday, April 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 6th & 10th
  • Dates used: 2008-present
I have used Jensen's Grammarland (middle school) for my 6th grader this year, and Jensen's Vocabulary and Grammar books for my 10th grader this year.

First, the Grammarland series: at first, I thought this curr. was working well; there's a story to read each lesson, and it's a spiral approach, with constant review. But after half a year of my 6th grader using this, it became too much drill and kill, and honestly, the material covered was very different from other grammar curr I've used, or any that I learned by, so it was difficult for me to teach it, and I consider myself a grammar-buff! Some of the parts of speech are named differently than the traditional naming; too confusing for my son and me. I plan to switch.

Jensen's Vocabulary workbook (7th gr. and up) is based on Latin and Greek roots with practical college-prep words; I use this for both vocab and spelling. Love this workbook, and so does my high schooler! I highly recommend this!

Jensen's Grammar workbook (7th gr. and up) is okay. My 10th grader used it last year, and it teaches similar to the Grammarland series for middle schoolers. It's a much different way to learn grammar than traditional grammar books, like Abeka or Easy Grammar. Often, the parts of speech are named differently than the traditional. Lots of errors in the answer section. Even though Jensen says this is the only Grammar book your student will need in high school, I think it is very confusing to students who have studied grammar through elem and middle schools, because this one is taught so differently. I won't recommend this curr.

twoofnine

• Reviewed on Friday, January 16, 2009
  • Dates used: 2007-8
I used Jensen's Format Writing with my 9th grade son. I thought it was a very thorough method of teaching writing. It starts with paragraphs and proceeds, not assuming that everyone knows how to write paragraphs. The book is progressive and thorough. Each section has plenty of examples and suggestions of topics to use for writing, helpful for those who don't know where to start. It covers every topic from paragraphs through essays, book reports and research papers. I will use this book with my other two children as they get old enough.