A Basic History of the United States

Debra T.

• Reviewed on Friday, May 16, 2003
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used:
I have to disagree with the previous reviewer's comments on dryness of the Carson text. I have heard this once before and I must profess, I do not understand it. The text is so good, I remember commenting to my husband, Why can't all history be written like this? Carson gives a conservative view to history with respect to Higher law. There are not a lot of pictures and maps, but it is a much better outlook on history than Hakim's text, especially in regard to conservative leadrs like Reagan.

Wanda Wilkening

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 15, 2003
  • Grades Used: high school level and up
  • Dates used: 2000-2002
This is history written for grown ups. It has no glossy pictures or cute fuzzy antedotes. Instead you find serious discussion on the founding and establishment of our nation. While there *may* be better curriculum covering the colonial period, you will not any better for explaining modern ure than his later volumes, especially as it relates to the development of our current political parties and their philosophies and the rise of socialism. I believe the content of this curriculum would be suitable for honors course.

Wanda Wilkening

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 15, 2003
  • Grades Used: high school level and up
  • Dates used: 2000-2002

Joy Chavez

• Reviewed on Friday, May 3, 2002
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used: 1999-2001
I enjoyed Carson's perspective on American history and politics. It is a refreshing conservative outlook on our past. Sympathetic with Christian influence shaping our nation, new perspective on Southern ideology of the antebellum/Civil War/Reconstruction period. Also had good questions at the end of the chapters.