Kumon Math Workbooks

marikod

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 9, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2-4th grade
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
I grew up in Japan, and this is what I did as after-school math supplement. It is a lot of repetition, and as a kid, I didn't necessarily enjoy it. However, it does give you a lot of arithmetic practice. It is well organized, and the problems become harder slowly, so it is not overwhelming to the children.

I have always considered myself as "not a math person", but I realized that my math abilities were better than a lot of American college kids when I started college.

That being said, this is a workbook. It will NOT teach you the logic side of the math. This is NOT a textbook. You have to teach how to do the problems to your student before you give them a page of Kumon workbook.

However, I find Kumon very useful and ask my child to do it as summer bridging work or school year supplemental work.

foreverfamily

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 9, 2010
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2010
I love this series but more important..so does my 5yo boy. He is presently in the Numbers 1-30. In Kumon fashion, it is very slowly building on previous lessons but doesn't have that "excessive drill" feel to it. There are very simple mazes, handwriting, and dominoes counting. My son's favorite activity is the mazes so we break those sections up and "warm up" each session with a maze.
I am so impressed with this series that we are also using their Alphabet Games and Rhyming books to supplement his handwriting and reading.

HSDadPhD

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 2, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3-4th
  • Dates used: 2008
I bought these workbooks, because I finally got my d.d. up to grade level with her older brother (18 mos. apart). I was really frustrated trying to teach both children at different levels, and petered out last spring just as we were cementing multiplication- d.s. was not 'into' learning tables, so I just stopped.

This year, we started flash cards, reviewed the thre basic operations we knew,('+', "-", and "x") and multiplication was finally [!] a 'game to be played.' Flash cards of all the "x" tables are now a good warm-up, but the division thing needed a lot of extra work- d.d. was not going to 'get it,' I could tell. I saw and got fourth grade division and multiplication Kumon workbooks (@$6.00 ea.) for my d.s. and d.d., but realized that I needed to cement single digit division for BOTH of them BEFORE beginning these books, and so, I ALSO bought the 3rd grade division workbooks as well.

They reviewed the single digit multiplication pages in the 3rd grade Kumon books after we had gone over the unit in our Math TEXT book, and they were getting 100% (the answers are in the back of the WB, so I let the kids correct their own pages). We then moved on to division, and BREEZED through the first five pages, with 94%, 98% and a number of 100% in the 3rd grade Kumon WB.

So I said, 'forget the rest of the simple division pages, and let's go on to 'division with remainders.'' Again 94,98, and a couple of 100%. This on a topic I have not touched on AT ALL yet. [ I figure, I will assign those pages I skipped if we get bogged down later] I'm going to introduce division via Textbook tomorrow, after four Kumon WB pages of both div. with and w/o remainders. They seem to 'get it.'

So far, these pages are just 'cutesy' enough for a mature 8 y.o. girl, and a somewhat immature 10 y.o. boy. The kids like the self-check ability, the introduction of the new 'factoid' and their superior scores. IT moves just fast enough, does not pander to their intellect or their visual perception of a well-crafted visual, and they are pleased that they are scoring so high, right off the bat. So do/am I. I am not adverse to skipping some of these WB pages once a concept is learned, as the WB's are so reasonably priced. They are printed w/subdued colors, fully in line with the Kumon approach, which my kids loved in K and 1st grade. It's kinda nice that the company now has math workbooks up to sixth grade. It's like coming home to an old friend...

I guess Kumon figured out that some of us would LIKE our kids to have simple, visually pleasant, but subdued color pages that get DIRECTLY to the math fact being studied, a point per problem total, and an answer guide in the back, all in a useable format.

This will not replace learning to write problems on regular lined paper, or studying word problems, etc in the text (whatever YOUR text may be). As I tend to shy away from WB-only based methods, and prefer a mix of mental and verbal, as well as pencil-based math, this fit the niche I was looking for. I'll let you know how the 4th grade books go come spring semester!